• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 931 Japan vs N. American parts

M&M713

Hello, I purchased a 1975 931 traxcavator with the backhoe removed. Parts were obtainable from CAT for head gasket kit, all filters etc. Broke into the clutches and brakes and many of the bolts were seized or warped. Talking to CAT technical guys they said the machine was built in Japan and they used grey metal. Parts are not available for the clutches, brakes, tranny etc. Has anyone found this and is there a place to get parts for the tranny back. CAT said no part number no parts. Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Broke into the clutches and brakes and many of the bolts were seized or warped. Talking to CAT technical guys they said the machine was built in Japan and they used grey metal.
All the D3s and 931s of that era were built in Japan. You’re going to get corroded hardware, etc on a 50 year-old machine, especially one that’s maybe not been maintained as well as it should have been.

I recently worked on a late 1980s US-built D9R and we had exactly the same problem with corroded fasteners.

JimInOz

For Steering Clutch & Brakes,try General Gear,Idaho.
I have a dismantled 78U here in Australia ,but there would be others in the USA.
eBay often has manuals,as does Tradebit.

Welder Dave

All 931's were built in Japan. Regarding the engines I was told everything is interchangeable with US made and Japanese made and no quality issues with the Japanese parts. It sounds like the "Cat" guy you talked to is feeding you a line. Maybe they don't want to deal with an older small machine with corroded fasteners or think you can't afford the parts?? It's the same as a D3, doesn't make sense no parts are available from Cat.