• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 933 realistic capabilities

Dnewell

I agree with you both I think the 939 just isn’t in the cards, the cab is about the only selling point to me, but the guy has had it a year and doesn’t even know if it HAS A/C and if the heater even works. I finally messaged him, and he seems to not know anything about it. For owning it a year and redoing his pond.

I’m still very intrigued in the 933, which by the way is just a straight 933 not a 933c if that makes a difference in anyone’s opinion.

So is it a common practice to call a CAT dealer in the area of the machine and hire them to take a look at a machine? Any idea on cost to have that done? Idk if I’ll be able to physically put eyes on it with the way my job works, and the guy has already said he’d haul it here (300 miles) for a fee. Haven’t gotten into numbers there yet.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Does the 10k hours scare you any though?
My biggest hang up with it is my trailer isn’t quite adequate for it. So I’d have the added expense of upgrading my trailer. I have plenty of truck to pull it but my trailer only has 20,000 capacity and that machine is going to come in around 22,000 lbs

I wouldn't necessarily be scared of 10K hours if the oil samples came back ok. However upgrading the trailer is an added cost that throws the two out of whack.

We've put 8K on our 953C with no issues. Friend of mine's 953A burnt up as in total rebuild from fuel and hydro tanks to cab to engine. However the hydro trans wasn't rebuilt although I told him he should. Well 10 years later and many hours, that damn 953 is still plugging along. He has it in his dirt pit loading trucks.

We have a lot of hydrostatic loaders running in my area and the only real issues are final drives and engines. Another friend has a 953A with untold hours on it and he's never been in the hydrostat. Now he's on his 2nd ECM at $4K a pop on his newer 2ZN but that's an electronics story.

Something about that 933's UC being so corroded would have me a little cautious as to the condition of the rest of the machine. If it's been close to the coast the salt air wreaks havoc on pretty much everything.

Welder Dave

I'm not sure if the 939 hydrostat is as heavy duty as as a 953 hydrostat?? A 939 isn't in the same class as a 953 so may not have the same life expectancy of components. Would be good to talk to some Cat dealers or independent mechanics to see if there are issues with 939's.
The 933 likely has the same components as a 931C/B. The powershift trans. is pretty reliable and I don't think has any common issues. Check for corrosion in other area's. Take the engine side shields off and lift up the cover under the foot pedals to take a good look. Drive it and see how it steers and brakes. Shouldn't have to push hard to turn. If you drive in first gear reverse about 3/4 throttle and shift to first gear forward, you should snap back in the seat. This is just a tranny test. Normally it's best to throttle down for a second when changing direction. $23K would be a good deal but $24K delivered 300 miles is pretty good too.

Dnewell

I contacted a cat dealer down there to see if they’d be willing to check it out for a fee of course, the guy I talked to didn’t know if that was something they did or not, so I’m waiting for a call back tomorrow. I figured as long as it isn’t a huge fee it’d be about like spending the 10 hours driving to look at it myself and not even really knowing exactly what I’m looking at and they’ll have all the right measuring tools I assume at least! So time will tell!

Welder Dave

There's a difference between getting an undercarriage assessment as if you're looking to replace it and getting an overall machine assessment. If you wanted both by a Cat dealer could be quite pricey. It might be better if you could find an independent mechanic to check it out but you should should also inspect in person the best you can.