• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 941B lift cylinder seals

88ford

I have put seals in my lift cylinder and am ready to put the piston back in the bore but there is a gasket/seal that didn't come in the seal kit. I bought it from Hercules but looking at other kits online, they don't include it either so I am assuming it is not part of the seal kit. It sits under the head just above the 2 seals that fit in the groove. In the picture it sits between 9 and 10 but it is not shown in the parts manual. I am including some pictures of the actual gasket/seal. I am wondering where I could find this or is it not necessary? There is a spot at the top of the bore where this sits (chamfered) so it seems like it does belong here.
thanks to all

c213611.pngScreenshot_20240316_124030_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240316_123914_Gallery.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I would suspect that what you can see is a Teflon backup ring that should have originally been in the groove along with the O-Ring. Ref #9 includes both the 1H-6128 O-Ring and the 2K-6830 Teflon backup ring.

When you disassembled the cylinder was there a cream-coloured backup ring in the groove as well as the one wrapped around the head further up.? Either way the ring that is wrapped around the head is not supposed to be there by design.

88ford

Thanks Nige,
You are correct there is an o-ring and a Teflon backup ring in the groove and the kit from Hercules had these included.
The ring farther up has a wedge shaped cross section and seems to be teflon. I will give it a try without it.