• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 950G No output from ECM to starter relay

Brian Bobb

So what’s the story behind the replacement powertrain ECM Brian.?
Is it new.?
Is it flashed with the correct software.?
Do you know what P/N of software is installed in it.?
Someone came and stole the original one from it so we both a new one and just installed it. No, I don't know the software that is installed on it.

ahart

Ok I would recommend getting someone with ET on it. If the ECM was bought over the counter from a CAT dealer and not ran through the service department, it is a blank box and has no software in it.

Brian Bobb

Alright I will see to get someone with an ET. If the ECM is blank, it would still start like how we were starting it from the starter relay?

Brian Bobb

Yes, it was from a dealer. No one made mention that it would be a blank box we would be buying. So we have to send it back to have the software flashed?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Yes, it was from a dealer. No one made mention that it would be a blank box we would be buying. So we have to send it back to have the software flashed?
You do indeed. The problem is you bought it from the Parts Dept, but it is the Service Dept who will have to flash it with the correct software, so it is them to whom you need to be speaking.
Often times (as it appears in this case) it's as though the two Departments don't speak to one another............
The Parts Dept ought to have known that the ECM was blank and should have told you though..........

EDIT: To give you an idea there are well over 1000 different applications for that particular Part Number of ECM, plus earlier superceded P/Ns for the same thing, across the Cat Product Line. The installed software in the ECM is what gives the "machine identity".

Last edited:

Shivan Dookeran

You're right next door? Dominica? Saint Vincent? Trinidad? Lol. How can I go about checking the FNR switch? When I use a multimeter and check the wires from the switch, the ground connects to neutral and disconnect when you switch to either forward or reverse.
Trinidad so question , if you bridge the starter pins does it start ? Does it work ? Was the ecm.replaced with the exact same one ? Don't figure the pins are the same because they are different. Also the software needs to be correctly installed. Nige can help alot

Brian Bobb

You do indeed. The problem is you bought it from the Parts Dept, but it is the Service Dept who will have to flash it with the correct software, so it is them to whom you need to be speaking.
Often times (as it appears in this case) it's as though the two Departments don't speak to one another............
The Parts Dept ought to have known that the ECM was blank and should have told you though..........

EDIT: To give you an idea there are well over 1000 different applications for that particular Part Number of ECM, plus earlier superceded P/Ns for the same thing, across the Cat Product Line. The installed software in the ECM is what gives the "machine identity".
Oh, so the parts department doesn't automatically send it to the service department to have them flash the relevant software? To be honest, it was our parts guy that did the ordering. Lol also I did not know all of this when it comes to CAT.
So with the CAT serial number, they would be able to get the right software for the 950G that we have seeing that the original was stolen for is to have been able to get its P/N.

Brian Bobb

Trinidad so question , if you bridge the starter pins does it start ? Does it work ? Was the ecm.replaced with the exact same one ? Don't figure the pins are the same because they are different. Also the software needs to be correctly installed. Nige can help alot
Trinidad, nice. I have an aunt there. Yes, it would start and run smoothly. I should have mentioned also, no other functions work. Could this all be due to it potentially being a blank ECM?

Brian Bobb

Oh now he tells us..........
Absolutely. Nothing in the powertrain will work with a blank PT ECM installed, and none of the Implement Hydraulkics will work because the PT & Implement ECMs can't talk to one another.
Lol forgive me for keeping that key information out. Definitely need to send that back.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Oh, so the parts department doesn't automatically send it to the service department to have them flash the relevant software? To be honest, it was our parts guy that did the ordering. Lol also I did not know all of this when it comes to CAT.
The dealer Parts Dept should have told your parts guy that it needed flashing IMHO. Any on-the-ball parts guy at the dealership should have made the call to the service department himself.
So with the CAT serial number, they would be able to get the right software for the 950G that we have seeing that the original was stolen for is to have been able to get its P/N.
Should be able to. What P/N of ECM did they supply.? 172-9389.?
According to me for machine 2JS00349 with a PT ECM P/N 172-9389 installed the correct (latest P/N) of software should be 229-4976 - but I suggest that you simply give the Service Dept just the machine S/N and let them tell YOU what P/N of software ought to be in the PT ECM.

Brian Bobb

The dealer Parts Dept should have told your parts guy that it needed flashing IMHO. Any on-the-ball parts guy at the dealership should have made the call to the service department himself.
Should be able to. What P/N of ECM did they supply.? 172-9389.?
According to me for machine 2JS00349 with a PT ECM P/N 172-9389 installed the correct (latest P/N) of software should be 229-4976 - but I suggest that you simply give the Service Dept just the machine S/N and let them tell YOU what P/N of software ought to be in the PT ECM.
They probably were had a lot going on causing them not to do that. It is a learning experience for us.
I will have to check it tomorrow to see which one he got. Nige, you are always a wealth of information and of great help. Man, I really do appreciate you for always being of assistance.

Shivan Dookeran

They probably were had a lot going on causing them not to do that. It is a learning experience for us.
I will have to check it tomorrow to see which one he got. Nige, you are always a wealth of information and of great help. Man, I really do appreciate you for always being of assistance.
who is the dealer may i ask ?
i dont know anyone on that island who may be able to help tho .. again .. im just a 35 min flight away :)

Brian Bobb

Remember it's not just me. Others like ahart & Shiv have chimed in along the way and to get to where you are right now has taken a team effort.
That is true. Thank you ahart and Shiv for your contribution as well. You guys have been on great help.

Brian Bobb

who is the dealer may i ask ?
i dont know anyone on that island who may be able to help tho .. again .. im just a 35 min flight away :)
To be honest, I don't know. Our parts guy lives in Miami. We've been trying to reach him but no reply as yet to get more info. Maybe due to the holiday he's enjoying it so I guess we will have to wait until the new year.