• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 950h - Implements Don't Move

EUCLIDES

Occupation
SERVICE ENGENEER
Hi.
I have a CAT 950H that has an intermitent problem with the implements. They stop suddenly and then start to work. The pilot pressure is fine and we are measuring all pressures to document the case. Has anybody had this kind of problem with this CAT model?

Euclides.

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
Hi.
I have a CAT 950H that has an intermitent problem with the implements. They stop suddenly and then start to work. The pilot pressure is fine and we are measuring all pressures to document the case. Has anybody had this kind of problem with this CAT model?

Euclides.

We have one, got it a year ago. Machine has a mind of its own. Cat has come numerous times, adjusted pressures, changed valves, took out joysick and put in dual controls and nothing seems to work. Factory reps came too, updated software, still nothing. Its impossible to grade with or do any kind of intricate work, you wait for implements to react and when they finally do they already went past where you want them to stop or slam into the stops. What kind of tires does yours have, this one has bridgestones which dont even compare to the michelins, i think that also has something to do with the bumpy ride the machine has.

wrench2556

implements

Is it only one function or all functions? We had the same issue with a link belt excavator, All the systems checked fine, Changed the controller and it still had a mind of it's own. At times 2 functions would work on their own and at time 1 function would do it. We put cleanout filters in the hydraulic tank and filtered the oil,It was clean. We finally pulled the implement valve out and disassembled it and found small metal particles in spool bores. Could have come from defective part or valve machining when built. I guess they would move around at certain times and get wedged in the spool that was activated and held it there causing function to work on its own.We cleaned the valve, resealed and assembled and installed. there have been no problems since, It was a pain and time consuming but so far so good. The factory also was involved and could not get give us any help. Hope this helps. Billy:Banghead

Wulf

Machine has a mind of its own. Its impossible to grade with or do any kind of intricate work, you wait for implements to react and when they finally do they already went past where you want them to stop or slam into the stops

As far as I understand the loader has electronic controls that send a command signal to the machine controller (computer). The controller processes the information recieved from you and all the associated sensors and provides a command to the proportional solenoids on the hyd control valve. I think there is some calibration that can be done on the machine but if the dealer and CAT are working on it then I'm sure it will be fixed eventually.

On these complex machines never overlook the simple stuff like oil viscosity, battery voltage and alternator charge.

There was someone here that's a technical trainer for CAT on this stuff as I recall maybe he could help?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums PETE379! :drinkup

PETE379

Occupation
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums PETE379! :drinkup

Thanks, countryboy.....All the hydraulic inplements are affected by this problem. The loader is brand new, well should say was, over a year now Cat trying to figure it out. I guess we'll see, they're supposed to bring me a new one to try also. In the meantime we are demoing a kawasaki 80Z, anybody have any experience with kawasaki?

cread

Talk to your dealer if its that new!!!! There was a update for the control levers on the 950h's and the 962h's. Then they will pay for!!!! I had the same thing happen on a 950H at about 1200 hours other then that sweet machine! Hope this helps!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums cread! :drinkup

PETE379

Occupation
Talk to your dealer if its that new!!!! There was a update for the control levers on the 950h's and the 962h's. Then they will pay for!!!! I had the same thing happen on a 950H at about 1200 hours other then that sweet machine! Hope this helps!

I know, Ive had the dealer here numerous times, plus techs from the factory in Peoria. They have changed the whole console, even went from one stick to two. They probably have over 100 hours into it already. The factory reps were here in November and said, "we'll talk after the holidays", ....thanks. Of course I havent heard from anybody at all. This is the 6th 950 ive owned plus all the rest of my cats. Im trying a Kawasaki this week (which is a spitting image of a 950F) and a komatsu next week just for the hell of it. Im glad they fixed your problem, I think all these computer controled electronics are either good or bad.

cread

Well im sorry!!! I just happen to be a mechanic for cat and at one time was a customer never had a service issue. Does your cat dealer know that you are running a kawasaki and looking at a komatsu!!! If not tell them! To bad your not in colorado or we would give ya a hook up! I have not done to much work to these machines so i really dont know all the details. I don't know what you have all done but sounds like you need to have them take that machine back for good and get a new one! sounds like its in the harness or on valve itself. I wish I could help ya more. Good luck!

PETE379

Occupation
Your input is definatley appreciated, its hard when you have a new machine and the dealer cant figure it out after a year. They were going to bring us a new one Jan 3rd to try and compare, they didnt even call yet. Although when the Kawi was coming off the trailer the Cat salesman happend to pull in the yard. PERFECT TIMING!

PETE379

Occupation
Setauket, next town over from Stony Brook University, on Long Island, my dealer is H O Penn