• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I called Thompson Cat today about the master shoes. My shoes were 18" triple grouser that I had to cut two inches off the inside to clear the cab. That makes them 16" offset pads. In order to get the master shoes I had to order 22" double grouser shoes and will cut off of both sides as they don't carry a 18" shoe. $58.00 each including freight. In the morning the rep is going to see if he can find a good used pair of master pads that will work. I decided not to modify my existing pads as it would be risking failure of my new bolt up master links.

All pads are installed except the two master shoes which should be here in a few days.
20150826_190926.jpg

When I get the master pads on I will need to tighten the track chains with the proper slack.
20150826_190859.jpg

I am working on the front grill and I need to finish splashing on some more paint. I have to replace the sprocket covers and rock guards. A good grease job and put the belly pan back on and then I will be ready for a victory lap! I think it is about time to drain the water from the lake so it can begin to dry up a bit.

I tried to delete the last picture but it refuses to be deleted so I will explain what it is. We have spring water and that is a filter, sediment trap, that I made from PVC pipe and fittings. I drain it every few months. The spring puts out a stream of water about 100 gallons per hour and is piped to a 1000 gallon holding tank to then be pumped to the house. We have used that water supply for forty years now. We enjoy crystal clear ice cold water not treated with Chlorine.

Attachments

• 20150826_191534.jpg
    20150826_191534.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 318

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I called the Cat rep today to see if he had ordered the two track master pads@ $58.00 each, he had not ordered them yet and said that they would need to be shipped from Georgia. I called Jeff at offroadequipment to order the new decal set for the machine. While I was at it I asked Jeff if, by chance, he had the shoes in stock. He said that has four Caterpillar brand master shoes in stock and they are $20 each plus freight. I ordered them along with the decals. I called cat and told them that I no longer needed the shoes but I did order two more gallons of Cat yellow paint for pickup in the morning. One gallon will probably finish the 951 but I will be putting a paint job on the D4E dozier before too long so it won't go to waste.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Paint job.

It is amazing how much paint it takes to paint one of these isn't it?

In the picture you can see how much I got painted with a little less than two gallons. I lack the cab, ROPS, hood and dash. The freshly painted surface, as you can see, is a little different shade than where I lack painting. Keep in mind that I put two coats on the engine and painted the engine compartment prior to installing the engine. I think that I will make it with three gallon. The machine is clean and ready to finish painting but as I was getting ready to fill the paint gun today, it began to cloud up and it rained. Maybe tomorrow. The decals and track master shoes should be here on Monday or Tuesday.

I am thinking that I will leave the rock guards off until I clean out the lake so that I can keep the mud washed out of the uc.

The old Ford F-700 dump truck just might end up with a Cat yellow cab if indeed I do have enough paint left. :cool2

Bryant_955L

Wow your machine has come along way and looks great. It would be great to see a before and after picture when your finished. I'm curious about the decals you ordered from ORE. I usually order via the Internet and I haven't ever seen where they show decals. Do you have to call them to get decals?

JustinG

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic, Cummins
You can call or email them. I've been buying all my parts from them also and I'm very pleased with their customer service!

workshoprat92

I am thinking that I will leave the rock guards off until I clean out the lake so that I can keep the mud washed out of the uc. [/QUOTE said:
I would absolutely wash the snot out of the undercarriage after cleaning a pond. Pull all the covers you can get off and give it a good bath. do everything you can to keep dirt from packing up your springs and tensioner parts. Obviously it makes it rust really bad but it also binds up the springs and related parts when its packed with dirt and dried. I think it a good idea to make it part of your maintenance program to pull the covers on a regular basis and clean the tensioner and springs out.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Decals

Wow your machine has come along way and looks great. It would be great to see a before and after picture when your finished. I'm curious about the decals you ordered from ORE. I usually order via the Internet and I haven't ever seen where they show decals. Do you have to call them to get decals?

To get the decals call Jeff Robinson at offroad for a quote. He orders them from a firm in Texas. $57.00 for the full set for the 951. They make them to order so it takes a few days for the turn around time.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Mud bath soon to come!

I would absolutely wash the snot out of the undercarriage after cleaning a pond. Obviously it makes it rust really bad but it also binds up the springs and related parts when its packed with dirt and dried. I think it a good idea to make it part of your maintenance program to pull the covers on a regular basis and clean the tensioner and springs out.

I will wash out the uc with a high pressure hose at the end of each day to keep the mud from drying out and packing.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Paint complete!

The painting is done and that was a job. The clean up takes far more effort than the actual painting. She is clean and painted inside and out!

The first thing to be done was to remove all of the old decals. I used a heat gun, single edge razor blade, a lot of time, and then removed the glue with acetone.
20150830_122745.jpg

I added on to the lower radiator cover. I couldn't locate one so I improvised. Nige, I even added some holes for Tony. Maybe not the right number of holes but nevertheless, holes. That should stop a limb from adding extra holes to the radiator core.
20150830_175612.jpg

I painted the outside of the bucket and then hoisted it for easier access to the rest of the machine.
20150830_175559.jpg

I ended up using 2 3/4 gallons of paint cut with acetone. The added acetone actually etches the old paint and helps the new paint bond to the old. Speeds up drying time and repels flying bugs too.
20150830_175633.jpg

Just need some drying time and decals. I ordered 951-B decals to agree with the machine serial #.
20150830_175710.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Agreed. Now go get it dirty ............

Yes, need some pictures with gobs all over it right as it comes out of the pond! Operator too!

One nice thing about having it all clean and painted is the mud will wash off much easier than it would off the dull and rusty areas.

Always easier to keep a machine than to clean one that has never been cleaned.

workshoprat92

I just got the undercarriage all back on my 955L and have it ready to go out and make some revenue. One thing I did before It goes back out is I took all the belly pans off and cleaned them out also. I don't know if you already have but it might be a good idea to clean them out before you put er back in heavy use. I think it helps things run cooler as at times they get so full they can block airflow to the oil pans and such. Plus it is amazing how much grease oil and organic matter gets caught in them and causes a real fire hazard. It is amazing how completely burnt down a machine can become from a fire in the belly pan. It can be one large fuel source.

Also I don't know what your experience level is cleaning out a pond with a track loader but I will offer up one bit of advice. When you get a nice large scoop of sludge and you track it out and its wiggling in your bucket like jello, keep your bucket as low as possible to dump it out. If you pick the bucket up high and dump it like your trying to stockpile dry dirt your gona end up wearing a bunch of it. Ask me how I know LOL. And man does that stuff stink to. Try and keep it from sloping like that when you dump it out cause not only will you be wearing it but it can clog up your radiator also. Keep a steady eye on your temperatures. that mud and gunk will get everywhere.

If your getting tired of my advice just say so and I will regress LOL. I am sorry but I have been stuck in the hospital the last 3 weeks with a large infection in my leg. They had to remove a large chunk of flesh and that means I have a wound area with a real long recovery time with nothing to do but wish I could be out working on my second 955L project. And to make matters worse the weather has been perfect for being out working. Just darn frustrated I cant be turning some wrenches.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
If I just had two more shoes, I could ride!

Get well soon workshop, winter is not far away! I did take the belly pan out from the machine, first thing that was removed because I didn't want a fire from all of the cutting torch and welding work.

Thanks for the warning about the mud splashing!

Kshansen, she will get muddy soon enough. UPS brought the two shoes today but they were wrong. I called Jeff at offroad and he said that they must have pulled and sent regular shoes instead of the master shoes. He is re sending the correct shoes this time I hope. Otherwise the machine is ready to roll. No decals yet. I can't get it dirty until I get decals stuck on it, can I?

I really did need to cover up that big hole in front of the lower radiator.
20150830_175633.jpg

That 1/4" diamond plate should do the trick.
20150831_191706.jpg

Nige and nickey, not enough holes in there but Tony can't count that high anyway.
20150831_191727.jpg

I even cleaned the glass in the gages.
20150831_192211.jpg

I need a more comfortable seat!
20150831_192224.jpg

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
oops, in the picture above that was taken from sitting in the driver's seat, the air cleaner and exhaust are on oposite sides. I must have put that engine back together backwards! Either that or it must have come from the same place as tctractors Land Rover. Strange!!

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Do you know what the old old Caterpillar emblem looked like. .....
like a caterpillar bug or slinky. ...that would be cool to have a decal
of that on each lift arm.