• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

KennyR

If I am not the only one who experiences the loud popping sound, like a tooth slipping when in a strain while backing up, i'll just live with it and get used to it. It really does not make sense that it could jump a tooth because it would have to jump several at one time, not just one. It would be nice to have someone on the ground watch it when it actually happens. Dickjr's explination sounds about right, the thing about loading up and bunching at the sprocket. I'll just adjust the track chains, ride it, and just smile when the old gal complains about the novice operator by popping loudly! Then I'll promise, one more time, not to put her in that kind of strain again. Thanks guys!

Nitelight,

I experience the same thing from time to time with my 941B. Its usually when I'm in a bind in a stump hole and put it in a hard turn. Not real sure what causes it. I just try to not put it in a situation where I think it'll do it. Does it less now than when I first started using it.

My current leak is oil around the filter housing but haven't been using the machine enough lately to address it yet.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Pin/Bushing wear is not limited to external
My old rails are snakey due to internal pin and bushing wear that can allow them to twist then roll up on the idlers or sprockets. Measurements can be deceiving if the wear is at the ends of pins and bushings they can measure out OK but snake sideways.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Miller, The old rails that came off of the machine were snakey but not real bad. The old rails still had quite a bit of life left in them but the sprockets were really shot. I didn't really want to put the old rails on new sprockets. So now she sets on new SALT chains and new sprocket rims.

Nice welder, by the way! Are you done with the new house?

Kiwi-truckwit

What a thread!

I've spent my downtime over the last few days reading the entire thread, and I'm simply in awe of the amount of work that has gone into the transformation of this machine, even more so when taking into account your limited capacities! I'm completely able bodied (although unfit) and would have struggled with half what what you've done.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Oh HELL NO on the house!! Between two old and I MEAN OLD tractors and my own worn out frame I have my hands full trying to keep them functioning as well working the house! Even my F250 has gotten to the Old stage about to break over 18 years! I have tiled one of the last two baths and have the flooring for the basement rooms ordered, just keep having machinery issues currently severe enough carpal tunnel in my right hand to shut it down for use on occasion, that gets fixed or at least worked on today. Should not be down more than 3 weeks according to the doc. On the snaking of the rails, does not take much to roll them off when they start that, good to hear yours has new legs! Still don't know why the photos are posting sideways, are not filed that way.

Recent tile work, and trust me setting the decorative tiles was the worst!:
IMG_1692.jpg

Last edited:

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I've spent my downtime over the last few days reading the entire thread, and I'm simply in awe of the amount of work that has gone into the transformation of this machine, even more so when taking into account your limited capacities! I'm completely able bodied (although unfit) and would have struggled with half what what you've done.

Believe me when I say that I did struggle. To me there are few things more satisfying than taking something so close to scrap and making from it something that is capable of doing such a large amount of work. Those old machines sort of keep me going. I can fool with them in my own time and when I choose. I am sort of like those old worn out machines, as long as I can get spare parts and can find someone to repair me, I can continue to keep going and I feel like there is a lot of work left in me if I pace myself. Working by myself I have to get creative with heavy lifting but that is part of the job for anyone who tackles such a project.

You must realize in the reading of the thread, I am playing and working on my bucket list. I tip my hat to you SIR for being a working man and making your living working in the dirt. As a young man, I would have loved to have had a chance to make my living working in the dirt with a machine of some sort. Thanks for your post!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Nice tile job Miller! I know all about old machines and old F250 pickups too. My old F250 has 76,000 miles on it now. I just put the second set of replacement tires on it. (dry rot) I bought it new in 1989, it is a F250 Lariat, HD, 4x4 7.3 CID diesel. Looks, runs, and drives like new, blows cold air and it is just shy of 28 years old. The old 1966 Ford F-600 dump truck is 48 years old but still gets the job done around here. Wish it had air and power steering but it is what it is.

Yesterday I was using two chainsaws to cut logs and some firewood from where I am clearing and took down some 16" white oak trees with the loader. One of those saws is a 14" McCulloch Pro Mac 55 that I bought from Western Auto in 1970. The other is a 18" Homelite 330 that I bought in 1973. My loader and dozier are both 1978 models. Don't get me started on the age and condition of the operator of all of this old stuff! Good luck with the carpal tunnel. I didn't have mine worked on and that was a mistake made a long time ago.

I started my house in 1975 and finished the house in 1978. In 2010 I did remove the linoleum from the bathroom floors in the kitchen and bathrooms and tiled the floors and shower, nothing fancy like you are doing though.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Worked way too late until dark:30

Got some seat time in this evening. Started out with the chainsaw getting rid of tree tops and cutting firewood. I don't burn the wood any more but I hate to just bury it in the hollow under tons of dirt. I was glad to be able to fire up the 951 and go to work moving dirt. I almost forgot to take pictures. I remembered about the time that it was getting dark.

I lubed the tractor and checked fluids before starting today, also pumped grease in to tighten the right track. No popping noise from that track at all today. I think that **** jr was right about the slack bunching behind the sprocket making the track appear tighter than it actually was.

hill take down 001.jpg

The hill behind the tractor is what I am taking down. Finish grade will be where the tractor is sitting now. I will build a new equipment pole barn there with six stalls. I need a dry place to park the dozier, the track loader, two ag tractors, the dump truck and the F-250.
hill take down 002.jpg

It is getting too dark to work! The old loader is running so good and strong that I really hate to quit, just when I am really getting in the groove of things and becoming one with the loader. Being able to chew gum, pull levers and get my feet working in harmony at the same time. You know the feeling!
hill take down 004.jpg

Safety is a concern when it gets this dark considering the unevenness of the ground that I am working on. I am about ready to put the dozier on the job and start the down hill modified slot dozing for the bulk pushing.
hill take down 005.jpg

The developing burn pile. It is in the way but burn conditions are not near safe enough to burn it. We are expecting rain in the next few days.
hill take down 006.jpg

I think I'll begin at the top of the hill with the dozier and work my way down the grade to keep from getting too steep on the descent. So far I have just cleared the cut and removed the brush and trees. I ate away at the bottom of the grade with the loader for a while creating a work road, but if I keep eating away at the bottom with the loader it is going to get mighty steep. The only clearing left to do is the small cedar trees on the side hill. They will fall to the dozier blade when I get to it.

Labparamour

Looking great! Glad you got to play with the machine some.

Yeah, weather and fires bad down your way...hope they get better soon.

DB

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Same here, I wish I had the time to get after some of the more needy grade jobs I have!! Perhaps after retirement I can get to down and in the dirt work too! Have tons of dead or dying(poisoned) Honey Locust to cook up after pushing out, then have a pond to build, more field roads to re-grade and a creek to work the bottom on for better drainage.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Well, we did get the expected rain today, that will ease the situation somewhat. I have been having to work many trips pushing around that burn pile. Hopefully this slow drizzle will last enough to get a burn permit.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Not enough rain to light up the brush pile yet. I moved a lot of dirt today. I was glad to get off of the chainsaw duty and back on the loader duty. The 951 is really preforming well. The power that the old gal is putting out is awesome and she runs and operates just as she should.

I am about to the point that it will be more productive to put the D4-E in there instead of the loader. I was able to get in about five hours total running time in two days and no more loud popping out of the left track. Digging and pushing white oak stumps really worked the old loader hard, the ultimate test on the UC. The old engine ran at WOT the entire time with no problems and she seemed happy to do so. I ran this evening until it got so dark that I could no longer see the ground from the seat and I was happy to do so! Dirt under the fingernails beats grease under the fingernails any day.

Tomorrow is another day, we hope!

Metalman 55

How about a few more work in progress pics for everyone to see? Glad to hear that the 951 is earning her keep!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Taking down the hill and working on the new shop pad

This dirt work is like eating a bowl of cheerios, take a spoon full at a time until it is all gone and then you are done. Those cedar trees don't have long to live and the taller white oaks on the left are going too. That track loader is nine feet tall so you can judge the scope of the work to be done.

digging shop pad 003.jpg

There is a lot of dirt in that hill side
digging shop pad 004.jpg

Finding a place to put all of that dirt is no problem, that hollow will hold a lot of dirt and make good level ground for a new parking area.
digging shop pad 005.jpg

These two trees will come down, and anything else that might one day fall on the new building.
digging shop pad 006.jpg

That old D4 is going to work shortly and those trailers will be moved to the new ground that I am building with the fill dirt in the hollow.
digging shop pad 007.jpg

Last edited:

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Well, we got the rain all right. Much too wet to work now for sure. It will be a good opportunity to check out the machines,fluids and lube.

Those folks up in East Tn. sure could have used some rain much earlier. Gatlinburg Tn. area folks are having a time with all of the wildfires burning their homes. I don't know if they got enough rain out of the latest weather front to extinguish the fires or not.

I have fire breaks on my place and I try to maintain them regularly. About the only time a fire might jump a firebreak here would be when the leaves fall, but then again, all it takes is a little spark and some wind.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Still much too wet to do dirt work around here, I'll just do some tree removal until we can get some dry weather. good rain for the poor folks involved with the fires in the east Tn. area.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Still too wet, but what the hell!

Well, she got some wet shoes and some mud between her toes today.

wet running 001.jpg

Its cold and windy out there, about 40 degrees.
wet running 002.jpg

I need a work road across that hollow to get at some of those trees.
wet running 003.jpg

Now its looking better.
wet running 004.jpg

just like eating Cheerios, a spoon full at a time.
wet running 005.jpg