• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951C transmission issue

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
The s/n tag is missing from the lower dash. On the left side of the engine block I found 86J455. That is all I can find that resembles a s/n. This machine is a recent purchase as a bit of a project. When I went and looked at the machine I was not able to actually work the machine because of it's location. When I got it home I found out then when it gets warmed up that first gear forward and first gear reverse gradually fade away the warmer it gets. I was able to borrow a service manual from a buddy. I checked pressure on top of the transmission filter. I had basically no pressure in 1st F/R. 2nd and 3rd were around 275 psi at low idle. I took the cover off the transmission. Started the machine and there was some oil oozing out the top of the control valve. I had the linkage unhooked and when I reached down and put it in 1st gear oil shot straight up out of the control valve. So I pulled the control valve out and have it on the bench. I don't have a parts manual yet. Is there a rebuild kit of some sort for the control valve or do I just have to buy the pieces individually? It looks like 86J is a good prefix for this machine but I feel like there should be at least 1 more digit? The service manual that I borrowed is for 86J1992 and up and appears not to be 100% complete. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

361brock

Occupation
retired
86j0455 would be a 951B. The oil that is shooting up from the removed trans cover is normal. I used the cover to trace out onto plexiglass. I drilled all the bolt holes so it would fit as the cover did. Now you will locate the pressure test ports sitting on top of control valve and drill them out too. You will need a pressure gauge that screws into those ports and measure the pressures in 1st, 2nd & 3rd with machine running. Without that cover oil will shoot everywhere. The correct pressures are in the service book. If the O rings in the valve are bad you will dump oil and loose pressure which means your machine will not move, especially when hot. Good luck.

Nick

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Thanks. I hope I found my issue. When I split the valve body I noticed what appeared to be 2 small thin flat washers on the spacer plate. I was struggling with where they actually were supposed to go. Evidently the last person that had this apart happen to misplace these 2 shims that are supposed to be used to regulate pressure as far I can tell. I made a plexiglass cover like you mentioned and everything seemed to work like it should. I just need to button it back up and go work it for a little while and see how it acts once it is warmed up.