• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977 L or K chain or parts machine

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
There was an Iron planet auction in Virginia January 30th 2014. A 977K that went for $3000 that was pretty much junk had a good rails/Chain. I can't seem to find the buyer and it was to expensive to haul the whole machine back to WI. I would pay a good price for the chains! I want to find used ones for my 977L 1973 it has 43 links like the k's. they went to 39 links and longer pitch in the latter L's:Banghead. I live by Madison WI.

Shawn

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Thanks kb

Yea saw it. Looks like too much trouble. The one in virginia looked like new rails (pins not turned). Shipping $6000 back to my place, made it a no go. I am not in a hurry. Mine really looks good strong engine and smoke free very quickly.

Shawn

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
By the time you get a used machine or rails bought, go thru all the labor to swap them and to use up what's left of them will it be worth not having gone to a supplier and buying replacement NEW rails? with new shoes? Get maximum life and use, use 50% of them and still have a good iron chunk to resell with lifespan remaining. Used rails for my Allis were running toward the $3000 a set WHEN I could still find them, got lucky and bought a parts machine with new chains for more than that but also scabbing out other large necessity from it. Rails alone cannot be more than $4500-6000 and those would be NEW, then add shoes and bolts as needed, lots of extra money but also peace of mind and work time.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Very good thoughts. One place quoted $3600 for rails only. Some silly folks ahead of me put new triple grousers and new sprocket segments on old rails. Must not of used it much, but the new segments cracked allot of bushings So new rails makes pretty good sense. I'm 55 and will hopefully can retire with a nice pension at 58. Then is when I may work off of my own property. Kind of a 2nd career.

Thanks DMiller!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am right in there with you, staring at 60 my own self and looking to retire in around three to five years.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I've been building and making things all my adult life. I will need something to make me feel productive, at least part of the time. A little extra money would also be helpful.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I own but one(so far) and a parts machine for it, if I am not working on the runner I am tearing down the remnants of the donor for more parts.

Never ending battle of who has the will to continue, but does help to take weight off after a few BBQs and beer!

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Nitelight, jughead and Dmiller. You all seem to share in some wisdom from the gift of time! Everything I own that moves is quite old to ancient. There is always something to fix, but I just want to press on (love that big old iron). The "hobby" is at my own pace so far. Told the wife when I go what she can't sell on ebay get a few scrapers to bid on the rest. She likes flowers allot more than my toys!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
My wife says that I am just adding to her assets. I suspect that somehow she figures that she will outlive me!

DMiller, I like the BBQ and Bud Lite idea. I lost 5 pounds worrying about getting that track back on that jumped the sprocket but I actually only lost no weight by doing it! I'll drink to that!

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I'm guessing you guys are all still running machines as a business? Though DMiller is the Allis out earning her keep also? I kind of steered myself to old Cats hoping if I had trouble in the field I could get parts easier.

jughead

Occupation
retired
I'm guessing you guys are all still running machines as a business? Though DMiller is the Allis out earning her keep also? I kind of steered myself to old Cats hoping if I had trouble in the field I could get parts easier.
not me. been an auto tech for about 40 years. bought equipment at a bargain??? to use, play on my 20 acres. got on my first backhoe 1974 and still not an operator and never will be but i get what i want done most of the time

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
No sdmcgett, I never did fool around with heavy equipment until after I retired. I bought a 951C loader and a D4E dozer to play with. Both are 1978 models. So far I have managed to wear off all of the rust on my wrenches but the blade, bucket, and track pads are still rusty and are not shiny at all!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Actually the old 'Fat Allis' is just a farm girl herself, too old and cranky to put to real work just what I can hash out with the old temperamental machine. Should I ever get a wild notion I can operate one of these proficiently I will buy a used Cat, most likely a 953 or if I find a worthy unit a 977K or L. But then I would need a decent tractor and low boy to get the machine to a work site, next on the list after the new house.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Sorry guys new people at work and this being the last week of curling has just kept me go go going. Anyhow 20 acres is what I'm sitting on, up in the hills with some woods and a view. Its a limestone hill the drive way is rock out of the hill! Bought the land back in 99. When I was looking for a skid steer I find a 1959 international Drott TD15 so I paid $4000 for a 33,000 pound machine used it to cut a road threw the woods build a pond ect. I was hooked! but it is still a hobby.

That 951 looks like a good machine That 4E sounds nice does it have a 6 way? Also Nitelite personally I think if you buy good iron at a good price heck you may use it and sell it way down the road for more money. And DMiller I went and ran a 973 better balance and visibility, easier to drive and run bucket than the 977. I heard the 953 held up better. Oh, the sheet metal on mine is like much much heavier than the 973 witch was rusted through in places. And of coarse doesn't look as cool as mine.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
There was an Iron planet auction in Virginia January 30th 2014. A 977K that went for $3000 that was pretty much junk had a good rails/Chain. I can't seem to find the buyer and it was to expensive to haul the whole machine back to WI. I would pay a good price for the chains! I want to find used ones for my 977L 1973 it has 43 links like the k's. they went to 39 links and longer pitch in the latter L's:Banghead. I live by Madison WI.

Shawn

There is a 977 going to the scrap yard on the ACMOC site, going Monday I think it said, last chance for parts. Might be worth a call. It was in MN.

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Thanks O-I-H gave him a call but his rail is a different pitch than mine. Giving him $3500 for the steel.