• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977L torque converter rebuild

jezow2010

We have the torque converters out of two 977Ls and want to make sure that they are good to go so we don’t have to pull them again. Long story short we have no idea what the history of the machines is - don’t know if the torque converters were ok or no.

We tore into one today and it looks ok to us except some of the bearings or bushings and the diameters. Is there anyone out there that knows what we should do while they’re out…?

Attachments

• IMG_6956.jpeg
    IMG_6956.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6955.jpeg
    IMG_6955.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6953.jpeg
    IMG_6953.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6951.jpeg
    IMG_6951.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9

jezow2010

More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_6949.jpeg
    IMG_6949.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6947.jpeg
    IMG_6947.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6945.jpeg
    IMG_6945.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6944.jpeg
    IMG_6944.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12

jezow2010

More pics

Attachments

• IMG_6935.jpeg
    IMG_6935.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6937.jpeg
    IMG_6937.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6940.jpeg
    IMG_6940.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6943.jpeg
    IMG_6943.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9

jezow2010

I guess in my mind I could either replace the rings, bushings and bearings or just let her ride and clean everything up real nice if the popular opinion it that it looks ok. Not looking for a brand new machine but don’t want to put it back in and immediately have problems with it haha.

jezow2010

Yeah few things… if I replace the copper bushings or bearings they probably need to be honed to size? Then the steel parts that ride within them are a little marred up but I don’t feel ridges. Run it or junk?

AllDodge

Yeah few things… if I replace the copper bushings or bearings they probably need to be honed to size? Then the steel parts that ride within them are a little marred up but I don’t feel ridges. Run it or junk?

Have never heard of someone honing a bearing, that would IMO be bad all the way around

Need to know what the specs are before being able to determine if it's usable or junk. Like take a motor apart and don't know if it needs to be bored or not. Then without measuring it's just looked at

jezow2010

Have never heard of someone honing a bearing, that would IMO be bad all the way around

Need to know what the specs are before being able to determine if it's usable or junk. Like take a motor apart and don't know if it needs to be bored or not. Then without measuring it's just looked at
bearing is a loose word, it’s essentially a copper or bronze bushing. Similar to a wrist pin bushing or whatever.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Never seen a bronze bushing in a torque converter that needs honing, they're not that tight for clearance, unlike wrist pin bushings, where you do need very close fits.

Replace the bronze bushings and all bearings, check all wearing surfaces for deep scores, excessive wear and grooves. Check all the blades for cracking and general damage.
Look for areas where rotating components have damage where they might have been in contact with other components whilst spinning. If there's rotational damage caused by contact with other components, replace the rotating component.

I don't like what I see, where I've put red arrows, below. That looks like rotational damage that means a new component is called for.

Check shafts for deep scores, excessive wear and grooves, especially where there's sealing surfaces.
There should be a piston ring or rings sealing the output shaft on the TC. Check the ring grooves for excessive wear. If the ring grooves are damaged (visible wear in the grooves), you'll need to replace the shaft. Replace all piston rings.
Ensure lip-type seals have a good smooth surface to seal on, use a Speedi-Sleeve if necessary.

Get the manual and check all the listed specifications for operating clearances. Clearances are given as maximums, if the maximum is exceeded, you won't get full life out of any overhaul.

Attachments

• CONVERTER.jpg
    CONVERTER.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Forgot to mention. Open up, clean, inspect, & reseal where necessary the scavenge pump and both the inlet & outlet relief valves.

Continuing on from what @OzDozer mentioned above I would suggest as a minimum to replace the following items in the converter: - 9, 10, 11, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, & 23. I assume that you have the Parts Manual.?

1697365858333.png

Attachments

• Specifications.pdf
    494.7 KB · Views: 10

jezow2010

I do have a parts manual. I’ll make a list and get going! Seems like it should be pretty simple, nothing hidden just whatever meets the eye.

tctractors

The Copper Bushings as you see them can have oil feed groves on an angle, these bushing need to be fitted in the correct orientation with the oil groove angled the correct way, when you strip a converter you always replace bearings, bushings and oil sealing parts, the snap rings often wear the outer (Female) surface they contact, always remove the scavenge pump before you pull the converter case off the engine as it will be damaged.