• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 977L

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I've really had a problem whenever someone says that dirty five letter word "PAINT" Pew, Gag, Yuck! What'd you say? Shut up looks Fine! Go Back in Your Corner! I've only recovered to the point of using red primer on rusty places, maybe. If I rebuild, or make new projects, then I go red primer and 2 top coats. Back at the Plant we had lots of Old and sometimes Wet machines. If anything had paint, that part was just fine the way it was. If there was something I wanted to preserve (I'm Very Goofy that Way). I might steam clean, sand blast, ect... I never top coated anything or spread the primer over the paint that was just fine. But the oil base industrial primer was way good at keeping things rust free for a long time. I left the pretty painting for the relief shifts. a few things actually did get that finish coat. I have a friend that uses some type of Rust Converter sounds good. Never tried the Stuff myself, so I can't really recommend it. But maybe you take the flakes off with a needle gun, wash it, try it, and prime it. I only say it thinking about protection and it hopefully easier to get the dirt off in the future. I'm guessing you might go for a complete spraying. Just a thought for you, or other guys reading this Fine Thread. Looks like your doing "Very Fine Work". My mind just wanders around in my Retired state, I can't work much but typing and talking is OK. I haven't laid a brush to any of my Machines. "They Look Just Fine".
Shawn

ChrisUK

I've really had a problem whenever someone says that dirty five letter word "PAINT" Pew, Gag, Yuck! What'd you say? Shut up looks Fine! Go Back in Your Corner! I've only recovered to the point of using red primer on rusty places, maybe. If I rebuild, or make new projects, then I go red primer and 2 top coats. Back at the Plant we had lots of Old and sometimes Wet machines. If anything had paint, that part was just fine the way it was. If there was something I wanted to preserve (I'm Very Goofy that Way). I might steam clean, sand blast, ect... I never top coated anything or spread the primer over the paint that was just fine. But the oil base industrial primer was way good at keeping things rust free for a long time. I left the pretty painting for the relief shifts. a few things actually did get that finish coat. I have a friend that uses some type of Rust Converter sounds good. Never tried the Stuff myself, so I can't really recommend it. But maybe you take the flakes off with a needle gun, wash it, try it, and prime it. I only say it thinking about protection and it hopefully easier to get the dirt off in the future. I'm guessing you might go for a complete spraying. Just a thought for you, or other guys reading this Fine Thread. Looks like your doing "Very Fine Work". My mind just wanders around in my Retired state, I can't work much but typing and talking is OK. I haven't laid a brush to any of my Machines. "They Look Just Fine".
Shawn
Cheers Shawn, Im unsure what to do yet as regards paint. I think its best to get it mechanically usable first before paint.
Still quite a way to go yet.
Chris

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Chris
Totally with with you in that regards. Mostly my work never gets paint at all, it gets fixed and goes back into serves. I do admire that you didn't start working the Machine right away. You did the work of digging in and finding out if there was issues before they found You. Like waiting for it to break First then do "Real Work!".
Best of Luck
Shawn

Last edited:

ChrisUK

Chasing the leaks ! I replaced the pipe joint in the engine bay and thought all was good
Drove it off the blocks and got about 10 feet and there was a steady flow of oil from under the front belly plate that protects the bottom of the radiator and oil cooler. Back on the blocks and removed the front plate to find all manner of junk in there, I think the build up of soil/leaves/muck etc around the pipes has caused the corrosion.
The steel lines that run from the torque convertor are shot as are the flexy lines that run from the hydraulic tank. All are getting replaced this week. The tomb raiders have been in there too as there are some very creative pipe jointing techniques going on under the cooler LOLOL
Getting there slowly though.
B036E1FA-02BC-4FCF-BF74-2F85FC0AA69B.jpeg E42FB77E-4930-4A2F-9707-FC9135C43F26.jpeg 2AE6C2C3-482D-44C5-9FFA-2BAB1AE8FCF1.jpeg EBD3F90F-28EE-4026-BCD9-E69DC1404A37.jpeg

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
Oh So Excellently Put!!!! Not the best of custom Plumbing! Not that Cat is cheap, but the Repair wouldn't Leak!
Best of Luck to you Chris!

ChrisUK

On with the bucket strip down now. I took both rams off for attention and thought we had better have a look at the bucket pins and bushes. Thinking this is going to be a long job.....
Cheers Chris.
73CB3380-2C71-4FF9-9131-5FBF78EC2729.jpeg 1E254204-2EAD-48A7-B8C8-0D19A83370C8.jpeg 12A95E1B-16D4-4932-B7C8-06F8C19D7B14.jpeg 32937D55-B216-4CF8-A3F3-B317A361C6AC.jpeg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Worst I can see is probable line-bore the outer pin bosses on rear assembly for a steel bush up and replace the existing inner bushings. Hoses should be easy peasy!