• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 980b steering shake

oarwhat

Hi all we have 4 older cat loaders and all shake somewhat but one of our 980b's shakes alot on left turns mostly. We just replaced the upper center pin and it helped alittle. What esle is common??? Randy

Mccahilldozing

Occupation
Sheriff's Sergeant
follow up linkage (Ithink thats what its called,its been a while)worn out.pull up the floor board and you will see what Im talking about

I had the same problem on my 980b loader. I replaced the steering valve with a rebuilt valve and it made the problem a lot better. It still does it a little bit but I think its because the top pin is worn.

Bob/Ont

Check out and correct any loose joints on the linkage from box to valve, change the centering spring in the valve. Take the Follow Up linkage out, make sure the spring inside of it is free to move. The washers on the end of the spring can get rusted solid, especially on snow removal jobs. To adjust the linkage, moving the ball on the anchor away from the center pin reduces the arc of steering, moving it closed increases it. Adjusting the length of the follow up will center the arc to keep it from banging on the stops. Steering should stop about 1/2" off each stop. Adjusting the length of the box to valve link will Ballance the effort required to turn the steering wheel in each direction. Never Ever run the engine with the follow up or valve linkage disconnected. If the valve gets moved there is no follow up control and the box can get ruined. Now in addition to the steering cyl and center pins a loose deck can cause erratic steering.
Later Bob

Last edited: