• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT BR172 Brush Cutter

Hi all.

I am looking at one of these at an upcoming auction.
Overall appearance is very nice, with some minor dents.

Laying underneath, I can spin the rotary freely, and it looks like it is out of "trueness" about 1/4" when I spin it.
I can take ahold of a blade, and wobble the assy just a bit.

Could it be messed up teeth, gears, bent shaft, or does it have some play into it normally?

thanks for any help.

Coke

I have had cat 172 cutter for years hit hundreds of rocks ,all kinds of trees and brush .The shaft that holds blades has had some movement , 2 sets of blades ago and still works great, can't be beat . Good luck!

NVtracks

I'm not sure if you bought the brush cutter or not, but I thought I would chime in with my thoughts since I just rented a Cat BR172 over this past weekend. I used it through heavy willows and sagebrush and was pleasantly surprised at how it performed. It is not what I ultimately want in a brush cutter, but it worked well enough for me to rent it again in the near future.

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
I have had cat 172 cutter for years hit hundreds of rocks ,all kinds of trees and brush .The shaft that holds blades has had some movement , 2 sets of blades ago and still works great, can't be beat . Good luck!

Have to agree here, we have the same model. Our guys for lack of a better word are careless with implements. The only thing I have ever done to it was replace a hose, set of blades, and the shear bolt. Over all very tough, working attachment.