• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D3B fuel leak on injection pump

Rocky River

I have a fuel leak coming from the #3 bonnet seal on the injection pump, question is do i need to have the pump rebuilt or can this be performed on the dozer?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
On the dozer.. if theres room.. most times its just an oring.. other times the bonnet has eroded & needs to be changed.. they're cheap..

Rocky River

Thanks, i bought the orings and bushings from Cat. Also i got the spline tool to remove the bushings, only issue i have is ive never done this before and not quite sure of the correct process to change it out.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Clean & blow off the area GOOD.
Remove the injector line & get it out of the way.. {slight bend}
Get a socket or something that will fit over the snubber [middle piece} but fit around the bonnet..
now smash the hell outta it 3-4x to break it loose from all the crud..
Blow it off again..
NOW, insert the tool & wack IT w/ a hammer a couple of x to seat it..
NOW, use an impact to break it loose.. you only get about 2 tries.. then the bonnet strips out..
IF that happens, your up the creek.. Good luck..
The torque on the new bonnet is 90-110 ft lbs.. I go 90.. & if she weeps, ease it up 10..

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Have to love the precision process that includes:

"smash the hell outta it 3-4x to break it loose from all the crud..
Blow it off again..
NOW, insert the tool & wack IT w/ a hammer a couple of x to seat it..
NOW, use an impact to break it loose":D

I would expect Cat to at least spec. the weight of the hammer!

Of course those instructions are from someone who has been there before not some engineer in a white shirt who has never touched a pump that has had dirt or water on it!