• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D4H Brakes

RodC

I have searched quite a bit for issues related to this, but there don't seem to be a lot out there. We have a Cat D4H that the brakes seem to only engage at the end of the control. (Both the steering controls and the foot brake) They seem to be strong when the do engage. We have seen 1 instance of a delayed right turn when it was warmed up, but the machine normally turns OK, you just have to really pull back on the control.

There doesn't seem to be much play in the controls, and it is the hand controls and the foot, so I don't think it is a linkage issue.

Where should we start looking? TIA

RodC

Thanks Nige, it is one of the early models SN - 8PB03241

heymccall

Just got done with my 8PB. Needle bearing on brake pedal destroyed on inboard side. Machine wouldn't move unless full throttle.

Apparently, by design, I can drive through first gear with that brake applied.

Every single time I have a brake or travel issue on my d4h, it has been linkage issues. I think I'm at 9k hours, but, it's on meter number 6.

RodC

Every single time I have a brake or travel issue on my d4h, it has been linkage issues. I think I'm at 9k hours, but, it's on meter number 6.
That's good to hear. We just went through the transmission linkage because one of them froze up and broke. I guess we should have went over the brakes. I'm not sure how many hours are on this one, I'm guessing 5K or so.

RodC

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a service manual. Most people don't.

No reason to apologize. Having a service manual is great for disassembly, and such, but there is no replacement for guys like you and this forum to get started in the right direction.