• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D4h

JDKID

Hi ya's
a mate sent me a like to this forum as i have a question ,Has any one got or drive a D4H if so what do they think of it and it's good /bad point's .. i'm looking at a 1988 D4H with 3000 hours on it with PAT blade it's on LPG pad's but changeing them to 20 inch standard pads if i buy it ..
S N is 3AC 00600 if any one's got a book that can back up that date ..
thanks
JD Kid
Akaroa
New Zealand

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums.com!!:drinkup

This site is taking on an international flavor I never anticipated!!

I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure someone will respond soon.

Thanks for joining us!! :waving

JDKID

D4h

Hi ya Steve
yea i'm hopeing someone will have some info on these dozers as so far other fourms have not come up with much ..i have a D45A komatsu that is getting a bit old and have had prob's with the steering with haveing 1800 acres of farm land there is a bit of work to be done mainly leveling before working the ground for new grass ..also some track work to get around the farm the D4H i'm looking is EXJapan and has been repainted with driect drive it may also do some agri work seeding so a full power shift i have been told could over heat
any views on this dozer will be great
thanks
JD

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
JDKID, well first, welcome to the forums! Nice to have you here!

I don't have an exact answer for you, but I can have one for you in about 24 hours. If someone else has a quicker answer, please post. I'm certainly not claiming speediness on this one. :bouncegri

PSDF350

JD glad to see you came over. Should get info your looking for here. Just might take a bit. Some guys are just to busy to post very often.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I believe the machine you have is indeed a genuine. The serial number should be in order, as machines made between 1985 and 1992 use the same format.

However, I cannot guarantee this genuinity. I would hope an official Cat rep can respond.

JDKID

d4h

Hi ya's
i got some feed back but not a lot sofar ,seems it has had no major work done or maybe put another way it has had no major work done that cat knows about ..with not doing a lot with cats i'm kinda green on the steering set up as the komatsu has a clutch /brake set up on the levers IE first part opens clutch 2nd part of travel put's on the brake i drove a D2 years ago and seem to recall them running a way on hills or haveing to cross steer them bit of a pain if backin g up a hill and i get it wrong :(
anyhow any driveing tips etc etc are welcome
catch ya's
JD

Sprucechip

Hi there, I have a friend with one of those. I havent run it but it does a good job of land clearing and putting in logging roads. His is also a LGP model ex-Japan model, and he is pretty happy with it. It seems to run out about like our newer 5 does. He hasnt had it but a couple years and as far as I know it hasnt given him any problems.
I wish I could give you more feedback but I really dont have alot of experience with it, although I do wish it was mine :)

JDKID

D4h

Hi guys
well i brought one it's a 89 LGP with PAT blade cab +ROPS and sweeps and rippers still have not got it yet will not be here till the 20th of this month ..kinda like xmas :)

catch ya
JD

BRL

Sprucechip,
Welcome to the site!

JDKID,
Welcome also! Congrats & best of luck with the new purchase!!

JDKID

D4h

Hi ya's
tomorrow's the big day ,should be here by lunch time and komatsu will be going kinda mixed feeling on it going realy kinda like most iron even tho it pi$$es ya off it's become like an old dog after a while .. might even get a pic of them for ya's if i rembour to thak the camara

catch ya
JD

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
WOW!!!! :eek2

That sure is some beautiful country you're in!! That one shot of the machine silhouetted against the sunset is real nice. If you could get another shot with the machine up higher on the ridge, you'd have a prize winning photo!!!

s1100

Hello

I Have a 93' D4H lgp seriesIII and it is a great machine. Easy to grade with and powerfull (105 hp 3304). Most people I have met that have ran them love them. It's a lot of machine in a relativly small package. One of Caterpillars best efforts as far as I am concerned.

JDKID

D4h

Hi ya's
anyidea why my dozer is feeling a tad under powered ?? is it just the weight of the D4H or maybe fuel filters blocked a bit ..not realy bogging down and working just bogging down and takes a while to come back up to speed .. another thing direct drive cats anyone had probs with them not smove in changeing from F to R if i clutch mine the lever will some times go though other times ya have to wait for the gear to stop spinning even then it's hard to get to change

all in all neat dozer to drive and love it but just the F to R change is getting a tad on my wick

thanks
JD

9420pullpan

i have ran a D4H before very good visibility and i wish they still made the with the elevated sprocket. the only thing i didnt like was the steering on the old H models. but very nice grading machine. here are a couple pics one of a D4 we had at school with trimble sitevision GPS and a D4 with a slope board.. enjoy

PCT D4.jpg

71657230.jpg