• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D5G LGP or CAT D5G XL???

Heavy Chevy

A couple of weeks ago, I had a gentleman's agreement with an owner to purchase a 2002 D5G XL (6200 hrs) but now he is waffling on our verbal agreement and I'm researching other options now. I went to look at a 2007 D5G LGP today (3600 hrs) and I really like it; however, my major concern is the blade width of 10' wide. I could easily haul the D5G XL with standard blade but this LGP model with wide blade even angled is still greater than legal 102" wide. I'm looking for Pro's vs Con's of either model but I'm really liking this LGP model , just never had to deal with wide loads and any issues that may arise with that. Looking for advice on the towing as well as the LGP model as well.
I have a single axle dump truck with 16 ton econoline trailer.
SN: MHK14804

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Can the blade be tilted and angled to get a little narrower? I had some work done with a JD 850J and that's what he did. I think, but not sure, a little over width needs wide load signage and flags but not a pilot truck. Not sure if you need a special permit in your area but see all kinds of excavators and other wider equipment moved without anything other than wide load signage, flags and maybe flashing lights. Maybe someone could clarify what's required if you're over 102 inches but less than say 110 inches?

Tyler d4c

Can the blade be tilted and angled to get a little narrower? I had some work done with a JD 850J and that's what he did. I think, but not sure, a little over width needs wide load signage and flags but not a pilot truck. Not sure if you need a special permit in your area but see all kinds of excavators and other wider equipment moved without anything other than wide load signage, flags and maybe flashing lights. Maybe someone could clarify what's required if you're over 102 inches but less than say 110 inches?
Officer that's a 90 inch wide trailer I swear

DGODGR

A couple of weeks ago, I had a gentleman's agreement with an owner to purchase a 2002 D5G XL (6200 hrs) but now he is waffling on our verbal agreement and I'm researching other options now.
I'm not sure what this even means. Probably not really relevant to your query (yet you did post it) but it feels weird. Did you commit to buy it, or not? What is a gentleman's agreement vs. a verbal agreement?

I went to look at a 2007 D5G LGP today (3600 hrs) and I really like it; however, my major concern is the blade width of 10' wide. I could easily haul the D5G XL with standard blade but this LGP model with wide blade even angled is still greater than legal 102" wide. I'm looking for Pro's vs Con's of either model but I'm really liking this LGP model , just never had to deal with wide loads and any issues that may arise with that. Looking for advice on the towing as well as the LGP model as well.
I have a single axle dump truck with 16 ton econoline trailer.
SN: MHK14804
I don't know what the laws in your state are but for most that load will require wide load signage, and permitting at least. In all honesty, my D5k XL still hangs a bit over the sides of my 8'-6" wide trailer. If wide load does not work for your set up, and your not willing to hire someone to move a "wide load", then you probably need to stick with the narrower XL version.
DB2 touched lightly on the fact that "LGP machines do not like working in rock". Maybe you are already aware of this, but what (I believe) he is trying to say is that the wider undercarriage puts a lot of additional stress on the undercarriage when the machine is being used on rocky ground. If that is the type of terrain that you will encounter the LGP is not your best choice unless you like the idea of high cost of ownership.

Reactions: DB2

Heavy Chevy

I'm not sure what this even means. Probably not really relevant to your query (yet you did post it) but it feels weird. Did you commit to buy it, or not? What is a gentleman's agreement vs. a verbal agreement?

I don't know what the laws in your state are but for most that load will require wide load signage, and permitting at least. In all honesty, my D5k XL still hangs a bit over the sides of my 8'-6" wide trailer. If wide load does not work for your set up, and your not willing to hire someone to move a "wide load", then you probably need to stick with the narrower XL version.
DB2 touched lightly on the fact that "LGP machines do not like working in rock". Maybe you are already aware of this, but what (I believe) he is trying to say is that the wider undercarriage puts a lot of additional stress on the undercarriage when the machine is being used on rocky ground. If that is the type of terrain that you will encounter the LGP is not your best choice unless you like the idea of high cost of ownership.

I'm using the gentleman's agreement to mean "his word with a handshake" and that was good enough for me but now the owner of the D5G XL has been going back on his word and making excuses.
As far as the D5G LGP, it will not be used in rocky soil....most likely land clearing/grading. I checked the state of VA and I found out that I can get an annual wide load permit for about $185.