• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D5N xl transmission temp sensor location

Ted Allen

Hello, 2004 Cat D5N XL Ser aggo1698. Local cat mechanic said I needed a new transmission temp sensor. He told me about where to find it but having trouble locating it. Dropped the belly pan and he said it would be in the side of the tranny. Does any one have a sketch of that on the side of the transmission.
Thanks in advance!

Ted Allen

I think I found it! and maybe the problem is not the sensor. the sensor plugs into a connector coming from above and the protective cover for the three wires coming down is wore totally away and the three wires are bare for about 2 inches.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I think I found it! and maybe the problem is not the sensor. the sensor plugs into a connector coming from above and the protective cover for the three wires coming down is wore totally away and the three wires are bare for about 2 inches.
You know I was going to ask earlier how the "mechanic" (and I use that word very loosely) had determined the sensor was bad. Obviously his diagnostic procedure was somehwat lacking. You have/had some sort of Diagnostic Code I assume.?

I'd be rich by now if I had $5 every time somebody comes on to this forum stating "I had such-and-such problem. I replaced the sensor but it didn't fix it. What do I do now.?", to which the answer is "do the troubleshooting procedure correctly and that will drive you to the root cause of the problem."

Ted Allen

Thank you Nige for the reply...He hooked up his laptop...cleared all the old codes....and after studying it for a while...said it was probably the sensor...
I'm assuming the bare wires touching each other could give off all kinds of codes! Anyway I told him to order the sensor and then today when I was under there searching for the sensor was when I found the bare wires!
I had already taken your advice not to replace the sensor willy nilly but I wanted one on hand in case it was the problem, so now I will fix...replace the wiring harness before replacing the sensor....wasn't really looking forward to pulling that big drain plug and watching that oil all over my new floor!

Ted Allen

update and question...got the new wiring harness for the transmission temp sensor installed and started her up..all fault codes are gone.
Thanks to hey mccall and nige for your help and advice!!!

only thing left to do before I put this machine up for sale is a minor oil leak around, under the blade control joystick...it runs down and makes it look like its from the tranny but after digging into it this is what I found. Is there anything that typically leaks from the joystick blade control body?

Ted Allen

The leaks are from the plungers or solenoids on the topside of valve body. Its the little spring loaded thingys that the joystick presses against to control the blade. The rubber boot was torn so I could see in there. Does those have o 20230113_110921.jpg 20230113_115546.jpg rings that can be replaced from the top side without removing the valve body? Also, How can I get the wiring plug for the toggles switch for engine speed control loose from the dash. It doesn't want to unplug and there doesnt seem to be any latches on it.