• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D7 17a Query

LG 78

Hello all
I have a D7 17A Have only owned for 2 years serial (on engine) 10002
Shes a beauty and been well cared for
I am a tad suspect that it could have a 3T back end on it is this possible?
It has a wet clutch but the old style spoked front idlers and manual track adjusters
The ID plate has gone from the rear
It has a D7N winch
It has the 17a gauges
Can anybody help please
The reason I am wanting to find out is that I have found another 17a for parts and would like to know if final drives etc will fit
Many thanks
LG

Old Magnet

You really need to know s/n's of both units. Scratch around where the s/n tag used to be and look for numbers stamped into the case. A lot of parts carry over from the 3T but not all as s/n's change. In particular the final drive gears are the same as the 3T for 17A1-17A11980.

LG 78

Thanks for that Old Magnet
Been a fan of yours for yesars you seem to have great knowledge in these old machines

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Also need a set of sprockets and could do with a new manifold if anyone in NZ has any
It will be hard to find a new manifold at a good price , I bought one for mine more than 10 years ago , quote from Goughs 4800 plus gst and freight x us . I contacted Hamilton Tractor Parts , they got me one , new unused , from Melborne 1350 including freight and GST to my gate in 5 days .

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Hello all
It has a wet clutch but the old style spoked front idlers and manual track adjusters
It has a D7N winch
It has the 17a gauges
Can anybody help please
The reason I am wanting to find out is that I have found another 17a for parts and would like to know if final drives etc will fit
Many thanks
LG
Are there any good spare heads on the wrecker one ?

LG 78

I think the heads are good havent had a chance to have a good look at it yet looks like it maybe one of the last before the turbos came out It hasnt been running for 20 odd years but hope to fire her up to get it on a transporter

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I think the heads are good havent had a chance to have a good look at it yet looks like it maybe one of the last before the turbos came out It hasnt been running for 20 odd years but hope to fire her up to get it on a transporter
I came close to doing away with my turbo and making a manifold , would have been far harder to fit the turbo to a homemade manifold . Not so keen on heads off a going motor , doesn't seem right some how .

Don k

Do yourself a favor and at least put in new pre combustion chambers. I had a D7 17A and had one cracked and washed the oil off the cylinder and seized the piston and pulled the top off it. Then caught another one in time on the other head before it did any damage and it also was cracked.

Retired John

Hello all
It has a D7N winch
It has the 17a gauges
Can anybody help please
Many thanks
LG

LG 78

Hi there The ID plates are located above the starting engine left side of engine block in front of decompression lever and also on the rear of the machine left side of the rear mounting plate used for winch etc approx mid way in height from the final drive filler cap and the top of the transmission block

FWD

That's probably the engine Serial number, but if the engine is original, then the engine and tractor number are the same. That number appears to be a 1959.
FWD