• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Grader Models comparability

Fabianc

I'm knew to this thread so forgive my ignorance. I searched quite a bit but couldn't get a straight answer.
Is the saying true that a cat 12M grader is basically the same as a 140M, the 14M=160M?
How much difference in a 140M to a 160M

GEORGIOS198217

I don’t know about m series but for h series 12h 140h and 160 h have the same parts book. Parts are same the difference is in horse power and a weight. With this two difference when you work with 12 and after with 140 and then 160 you will sure understand that is another machine even that if you just looked from down is the same

20/80

Occupation
operator
I'm knew to this thread so forgive my ignorance. I searched quite a bit but couldn't get a straight answer.
Is the saying true that a cat 12M grader is basically the same as a 140M, the 14M=160M?
How much difference in a 140M to a 160M
12M, 14M, 16M Is a construction grader which are built heavier more power compared to 120, 140, 160 which are more suited towards maintenance graders, 12M and a 140M are pretty much the same graders, weight and power wise we have both, 140M would have a 14ft blade, 160 would be a bit heavier, more power with a 16ft blade.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
12M, 14M, 16M Is a construction grader which are built heavier more power compared to 120, 140, 160 which are more suited towards maintenance graders.
This is exactly what the difference is.
Cat refers to the two grader model ranges as Mining (12, 14, 16, 18, 24) or Construction (120, 140, 160). The Construction range application would also include being used for road maintenance tasks.
The first two digits of the model number are the moldboard length in feet.

Nige

Is the saying true that a cat 12M grader is basically the same as a 140M.?
Pretty much. If you go up one model from a mining grader then that model would be more or less the equivalent in the construction grader line. So your analogy of 12M->140M or 14M->160M is correct.

If you want to compare the differences between a 140M and a 160M the best way is to download the spec sheet. Google "Cat 140M Specalog" and this link should appear. It contains the specs for all the Construction line of graders.
https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C802193

Welder Dave

I wonder why they make a 12M and a 140M if they are essentially the same other than the standard moldboard width? Is there much price difference?

20/80

Occupation
operator
Our 12M2 came with the 14 ft blade, compared to a 120M with a 12ft blade, not sure if the 14M comes with a 16ft blade or not, it could easily handle it.

Nige

To add to the confusion...........the model numbers have changed....!!

The 12M has disappeared from the range of Mining graders and has become the 140 in the Construction range.
What was previously the 140 has become the 150.
The mining range is now the 14, 16, 18, & 24. To answer Dave's question one of the big differences is that Mining graders are designed to have the capability of working 12-hr shifts amongst other things. They also tend to be heavier.
All the Construction grader models are now listed with a 12ft moldboard as standard equipment and a "2ft LH extension" available as an attachment.
upload_2022-7-13_12-15-46.png

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The 12, 140 and 160 are all the same frame with different options to fit different tasks. You can get any blade you want on them. They also make extensions that will bolt onto the ends of the blades.

The 14 and 16 that I have some experience with have much larger frames and are much larger machines all around. The blades all come in 14' and 16' for either machine and you can also get extensions for them. The base material these blades are made from are much thicker and the blades stand taller to move a lot more material per pass.

As I recall the M was a model designation that was newer than an H model. The M had joystick controls as opposed to a steering wheel and lever controls. I'm sure all the designations have been or are being changed now days. The manufacturers like to keep people guessing. It is a way to keep people engaged with the sales forces.

Welder Dave

The 12M and 140M are very close in weight. I would have thought a grader for road maintainence would have as large a fuel tank possible for running all night clearing snow. The new 140 the operators union brought to my oval track had conventional controls with a steering wheel. That's a definite difference some operators prefer. Some of the differences in earlier machines like the 12M and 140M obviously aren't so noticeable but must be there to warrant making 2 different machines. Maybe it's just a matter of bolting a few different components to the same frame kind of like different arrangement numbers on the same chassis? The head grader instructor said he had a lot more feel with conventional controls over the joystick controls in the M series. They have both as well as a JD 772GP. He likes the Cat 140 but said the JD is a real nice machine too and JD has made some good improvements to their graders. The union must have boat loads of money the way they keep getting new machines the last few years. $1.2 million Kobelco crawler crane, another Liebherr all terrain crane on rubber close to a million, a Todano rough terrain crane, Cat 140 grader over $500K and the list goes on. On Monday when I drove by it looks like they've added a new Komatsu excavator to their fleet.