• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Graders in England

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
;) Cat 12 & 14G's Working last year on a road job in Cornwall England

Attachments

• Cat 12G Grader.JPG
    Cat 12G Grader.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,702
  • Cat 14G Grader.JPG
    Cat 14G Grader.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Caterpillar 14G Grader.JPG
    Caterpillar 14G Grader.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,096

Grader4me

I'm probably going to feel foolish for asking but....what in the heck is that box mounted on the front of the grader? Toolbox?:beatsme If so, it looks like an awkward place to have it. If it is a tool box, it would be for shovels,rakes etc? You would have to stand on your head to reach down to the bottom for something.....:eek:

On edit...Maybe that is where the "new guy" stands while being trained...Lol

Last edited:

skata

I'm probably going to feel foolish for asking but....what in the heck is that box mounted on the front of the grader? Toolbox?:beatsme If so, it looks like an awkward place to have it. If it is a tool box, it would be for shovels,rakes etc? You would have to stand on your head to reach down to the bottom for something.....:eek:

i'm guessing it's a weight.

Grader4me

Don't some graders have push blocks on the front?

Yes, I guess some do but I have never seen or used one on a grader. Here is a link showing a picture of a new push block
Looks a little different than the above picture, but it might be a homemade one.:beatsme

On edit...Hey! I just hit post 500! Now will I get an award or something? Mods are probably praying that my next 500 makes more sense that the first 500 Lol..

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Congratulations! On behalf of the staff and management of Heavy Equipmet Forums, I'd like to present you with the 500 posts award! :salute

(I'd like to, presnt it to you but, uh,we don't really have one, so just go sit in the corner and act important, ok?)

;)

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator

Its a weight, all be it a home made one :p

It does the job though, that operator is Mustard!!!:spaz

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
More Grader shots:D

Attachments

• A30 Bodmin McAlpine 019.jpg
    A30 Bodmin McAlpine 019.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 837
  • Cat 14G Grader.JPG
    Cat 14G Grader.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 822

Grader4me

Congratulations! On behalf of the staff and management of Heavy Equipmet Forums, I'd like to present you with the 500 posts award! :salute

(I'd like to, presnt it to you but, uh,we don't really have one, so just go sit in the corner and act important, ok?)

;)

:D Thanks!...Gee, I'm feeling a little emotional right now...and important! :rolleyes:
Its a weight, all be it a home made one

It does the job though, that operator is Mustard!!!

Thanks Nick!

Grader4me

Its a weight, all be it a home made one :p

It does the job though, that operator is Mustard!!!:spaz

My mind keeps going back to that weight on the front of the Grader. The Grader doen't look like it has the front wheel drive or could I be wrong? So the weight would just be there to aid with the steering. I have worked a grader in many, many conditions and in lots of different materials, and I can't for the life of me see the advantage of a weight like that. Would it aid enough in lets say muddy conditions to warrent putting it on? I know when making a hard cut your front end becomes quite light at times, but I don't think a weight would make much difference.

If it is an all wheel drive, then yes I could see that more weight added would give better traction when making heavy cuts or working in muddy conditions.

But...as I have never used or even seen these weights before, I stand to be corrected. As stated before an operator can always learn something new and you are never to old to learn. Anyone?

Ross

My mind keeps going back to that weight on the front of the Grader. The Grader doen't look like it has the front wheel drive or could I be wrong? So the weight would just be there to aid with the steering. I have worked a grader in many, many conditions and in lots of different materials, and I can't for the life of me see the advantage of a weight like that. Would it aid enough in lets say muddy conditions to warrent putting it on? I know when making a hard cut your front end becomes quite light at times, but I don't think a weight would make much difference.

If it is an all wheel drive, then yes I could see that more weight added would give better traction when making heavy cuts or working in muddy conditions.

But...as I have never used or even seen these weights before, I stand to be corrected. As stated before an operator can always learn something new and you are never to old to learn. Anyone?

Thats deffo not FWD. But i agree with your statments.

Maybe the weight (if it is a weight) Was fitted for another job and just wasn't removed for this one. Also, Looks like it would make an excellent push block.

Ross

skata

the added weight probably helps the blade cut better, more downward force. probably has a leverage effect.

Grader4me

the added weight probably helps the blade cut better, more downward force. probably has a leverage effect.

I hear what you are trying to say but I just can't see it. I've given a grader all it can do as far as heavy cuts and maximum load on the moldboard. A weight on the front end wouldn't have given me any more of a cut or helped me cut better. How much you can cut depends on the material/road you are working with and the angle/tilt of your moldboard, and of course the power of the grader that you are operating. Also depends on the traction that you have.

Last edited:

Grader4me

Thats deffo not FWD. But i agree with your statments.

Maybe the weight (if it is a weight) Was fitted for another job and just wasn't removed for this one. Also, Looks like it would make an excellent push block.

Ross

I think that you hit it on the nose with the push block therory:thumbsup Weight? Just can't picture it.

Last edited:

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
Just wish I was still on that job so I could ask the operator for the correct answer to this one....but I am not likely to get back to that job now so I guess we will never know.

Lets just assume is was either a weight or a pushblock??? 50-50