• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT High Flow Plug Question

Reuben Frazier

I’m curious if anyone has a logical explanation as to why CAT has an external plug that has to manually be installed/removed to activate high flow? We routinely go from high flow to low flow attachments daily and it has me wondering why their simply isn’t a switch inside the cab to do it. Do they think the operators are to stupid to know what they need?

I’m thinking about buying an aftermarket plug and wiring them up to a switch in the cabs but I’m flabbergasted as to why it’s not in them to begin with. In the past years I’ve simply overlooked it as an inconvenience but after loosing 2 plugs in a weeks time it’s become more of a moment of bitterness. If they are seriously concerned about switching back and forth why not put some type of keyed switch inside the cab? Are we the only ones that thinks this way, what is everyone else’s thoughts on the plug issue?

heymccall

Because every genuine Caterpillar high flow attachmemt has it built into its attachment harness.
You too can build it into your aftermarket attachment harness.
Perhaps the question should be "why didn't my attachment manufacturer build it in?"

Reuben Frazier

That’s not correct, I have a CAT high flow attachment that does not use the wiring harness requiring the plug installed.

Tyler d4c

Personally I agree its stupid but it does help prevent someone putting hi flow to say a 4 in 1 bucket.

Reuben Frazier

I agree but they could still forget to remove the plug. It’s really not that big of deal aside from keeping up with the plugs. We tried to bolt them to the chassis with the chain they come with and is how one was lost last week and the other who knows.

Reuben Frazier

All other new machines to my knowledge have in cab flow control so in short it’s time for them to step up to the times I think and it’s going to be a while I guess since the new D3’s were just introduced.

heymccall

I really don't see the problem. Add the jumper into your wiring harness for the attacment.
No harness required on your attachment? Then simply secure the jumper to the coupling with a coated wire cable (like on a trailer breakaway).

Reuben Frazier

I agree to a point but the holes get filled with debris on the plug bouncing around in the elements requiring a service truck to come blow out the connectors, we’ve destroyed more than one wiring harness on the tractor side in the past due to this. Maybe you work in a more forgiving environment with no worries of it happening but for a simple solution by CAT they could eliminate it and make it easier for everyone. Don’t get me wrong I’m not bashing CAT’s but they have everything else wired to a computer so why stop here because most of the competitors go so far as to even allow flow pressure adjustment on the control panel to match exactly what attachment your running. A $25k less machine has more modern controls but it’s a give and take world I guess.

Having to buy something extra on a new machine to even activate high flow is pretty stupid though, even you can surely admit that lol

heymccall

My problem is the $80 connector that won't survive a drive off.
So, I use a $10 trailer plug and put a switch in cab to alternate between my 7pin and the Cat plug (for the days where I need to rent or borrow an attachment).
Back to the original post, just get a Deutsche pin and ground it or run it through a switch to ground, and insert it in place of the high flow pin at the harness connection in the trunk.