• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Hydraulic Cylinder Bearing removal ?

nonprod

Occupation
Re-Tired
Hello Folks,

This seems like a stupid question, but I was looking at my Cat Thumb cylinder (268-8225) the other day, and the bearings in both eyes spin and slide around, and have more ovality in the eye bores than I want to see - But the question is: How to remove the bearings? They move out of the eye about 1/4" on one side but they clearly hit something which keeps them from sliding out. The drawing shows the zerk drilling, but no bush retaining pin or other obstacle. Does this mean the zerk threads were not cut into the eye but some sort of pressed in tube, like a long helicoil and that's what the bushing is hitting when you try to slide it out of the eye? Am I crazy and an equipment manufacturer doesn't want you to replace a bearing....!?

TIA - gibbs

Attachments

• IMG_4018.JPG
    IMG_4018.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 1.09.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 1.09.13 PM.png
    595.3 KB · Views: 7

nonprod

Occupation
Re-Tired
Ah, this idea would conceivably remove the bearing, but destroy it, no? And what is an FBH in this context?
From my preliminary glance, the eye is out of round, that is, the hardened bearing rocks no more on the pin than expected. Am I off base by assuming that the bearing is to have interference fit in the eye, and the pin is the object to move?

thanks for your comments.

nonprod

Occupation
Re-Tired
I do think there is grease groove on the bush. I stopped short of bashing it with a hammer, because the bush stops moving out with a pretty solid clunk noise.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 3.40.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-18 at 3.40.41 PM.png
    156 KB · Views: 0

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Bearing should be an interference fit in the rod eye. Normally somewhere about 0.001” of interference per inch of bore size.

If the bush moves laterally in the bore both of them are by now toast. Extract the bush and scrap it, have rod eye welded and bored back to standard size, install a new bush and Bob’s your father’s brother.

FBH = F**kin Big Hammer

nonprod

Occupation
Re-Tired
Thanks all. Update: I was just being coy because of the distinct ring the bush made when it hit a crazy ridge in the middle of the bore. I made up a drift and knocked the bush without the biggest sledge. The bore's a mess; yet another line to bore. There adding up! Good thing the machine was relatively inexpensive... ...when I asked the guy I got it from: "Are 3000 of the 4000 hours on this with a breaker?" he said no, of course, but it looks like his op thought the thumb was a breaker.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
A little OT but the reference to FBH reminded me of a bearing seminar I went to many years ago. Instructor told about giving his talk and using that term "FBH". When he was asked by a young lady he had forgot was in the class what "FBH" stood for when talking about installing a bearing he hesitated for a second and said "That's the Fafner Bearing Handbook!" where you can look up the tolerances for fitting a bearing in a housing!