• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat low cab mining grader

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Don't know anything about it, but this is the first time I saw one of these. I was at Toromont Cat in Sudbury, Ontario (home of many underground mines, nickel mostly) the other day and spotted this. Kind of a crappy picture, but I was blocking the road with my truck trying to get it. I seen the grader with no cab there back in March when I was working in the mine with my truck. I thought it was just shipped like that and awaiting a standard cab. Pretty cool. Hope the picture is in my post:bash

Attachments

• 100_2016.jpg
    100_2016.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,327

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
looks like a miserable ride.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Sho, i was wondering when those would rear their little heads. I have never seen one before, but it looks mighty interesting. I saw a cabless cat going up the other day... I wonder?

What model is that thing? looks like a converted 140 to me.

06bowtie_guy

I saw that one sitting there a couple weeks ago when going to harper. Very interesting, first cabed grader i've seen for the mines.

We run 120's underground but without cabs.

While going by did you notice the AD45 in the yard? That's our new haulage truck. :D

We often have cat reps in at work so I'll see if they know anything about that grader.

06bowtie_guy

Cat rep was in @ work today so I asked about the unit in the picture. There have been a few of those produced now to date and that one is going to Coleman mine which is a Vale Inco mine. :)

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
Hello 06bowtie_guy. So is that the only one they have or are they getting more?
I was working in Inco with my Paystar from January to March for Carmen Construction on that Common Creek resevoir job. You've got some nasty stuff in that mud, man. I had all my aluminum and stainless greased for the winter and that stuff still chewed into it.:mad: I had to sand and repolish all the aluminum when I got done that job:Banghead.
Do they do any underground tours at any of the mines there?
I did see the AD 45 :D Have they gone remote controlled on the haul trucks yet? I see they are using that on some of the underground equipment there now eh?

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
The fire supression system is a give away for a mine. Probably is equipped with explosion proof lighting and an air starter among other neat stuff. First one I've seen with a full cab though.

06bowtie_guy

Hello 06bowtie_guy. So is that the only one they have or are they getting more?
I was working in Inco with my Paystar from January to March for Carmen Construction on that Common Creek resevoir job. You've got some nasty stuff in that mud, man. I had all my aluminum and stainless greased for the winter and that stuff still chewed into it.:mad: I had to sand and repolish all the aluminum when I got done that job:Banghead.
Do they do any underground tours at any of the mines there?
I did see the AD 45 :D Have they gone remote controlled on the haul trucks yet? I see they are using that on some of the underground equipment there now eh?

He had mentioned another one comming but not sure when.
While @ that job hauling this past winter you prob saw a black volvo and red sterling from Nova Contracting?? My buddy runs hoe for that company. I gave the volvo a bath a few weeks ago and all the chrome is junk on that truck. Operators never care compared to owner operators. :mad:
There isn't any organized tours for the public however employees can usually arrange a tour. In the fall I might be bringing in a buddy or 2 on a saturday.
If interested I can let you know when and if your off maybe you could attend?

All of our haul trucks are manually operated. Scoops can run on remote and do often when in open headings.

06bowtie_guy

The fire supression system is a give away for a mine. Probably is equipped with explosion proof lighting and an air starter among other neat stuff. First one I've seen with a full cab though.

Actually the starter is a regular 24V starter and the lights are regular bulbs. On cat equipment now they run a plastic case with a h3 type bulb. Nickle mine. Imagine the coal mines are alot different though. Never worked at one however.

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
Actually the starter is a regular 24V starter and the lights are regular bulbs. On cat equipment now they run a plastic case with a h3 type bulb. Nickle mine. Imagine the coal mines are alot different though. Never worked at one however.

Nickle is different. I think they refer to them as hard rock mines and the grader doesn't "always" require the air scrubbers and explosion proof lighting. We have a couple in diamond and gold mines. They are basically off the shelf graders with low profile cabs.