• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat oil filter for Duramax

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Watched a video the other day of a guy installing a conversion kit on a Duramax to fit a CAT IR-1807 oil filter. Knowing how expensive Cat can be, would it be worth it' and what would the benefits be?

Welder Dave

Ball caps backwards is like fat people in spandex. Should be some kind of law against it. Welders caps are designed to be worn backwards and sideways to protect from sparks. Ball caps not so much. Have seen a couple welders use ball caps for welding. Terrible idea especially if they have nylon in them and/or a nylon adjuster. If something bad happens the nylon can melt and weld to your skin.

Shimmy1

OIP(1).jpg 9k=.jpg
Ball caps backwards is like fat people in spandex. Should be some kind of law against it. Welders caps are designed to be worn backwards and sideways to protect from sparks. Ball caps not so much. Have seen a couple welders use ball caps for welding. Terrible idea especially if they have nylon in them and/or a nylon adjuster. If something bad happens the nylon can melt and weld to your skin.
We're not discussing backwards caps, we're talking about flat bills. You know, white boy gangsta things.

Welder Dave

View attachment 275193 View attachment 275194
We're not discussing backwards caps, we're talking about flat bills. You know, white boy gangsta things.
Seems the higher it's turned up the stupider the person looks. Probably has the belt on his pants about a foot below his waist too. I was in a mall and saw a kid like that. You just want to tell him how bloody ridiculous he looks. You're also kind of hoping his pants fall right down and everybody's looking at him trying to pull his pants up with his belt still firmly tightened.

Welder Dave

I'm pretty annoyed with the whole cartridge filter thing. Started with the 7.3 I think. Except all the antiques from the 60s.
My 2.7 Eco boost has a cartridge oil filter but it's up higher. For me it's much more convenient to just go to a quick lube. The one I go to isn't a big franchise and quite a bit cheaper. Quite a few years ago I went to a franchise quick lube because I had a coupon for a free oil change. While the oil was draining another person takes the intake boot off, without asking and it's a little black so says I should get the intake cleaned... for about $16. I declined. Then they tried to charge me for an extra litre of oil at about $5. I said the coupon has no limit of 4 litre's on it only that diesel is extra. Then they said, "well we'll let it go this time". That's a pretty straight forward case of false advertising. I knew that because I heard about a lawyer getting a car wash coupon and then getting another coupon after his car was washed. He went home and brought his wife's car back. The car wash tried to say the coupons were limited to 1 car per customer. Nope, only if it specifically mentions conditions on the coupon. It was a little ironic a lawyer was that cheap but he was right.

Truck Shop

Average full service time on a DD15 in our shop-Thats three fuel filters one air filter one oil filter 11 gals oil
cab filter wiper blades top of fluid--35 minutes. I do that while Jeff greases, fluid levels, checks tire psi.
Off the jacks and rubber out the door. And the new Penske shop when I leave {ain't going to happen that
quick}.

Zero mess on truck, truck engine or floor-The last time I used floor sweep-I believe 4 years ago. Wait that's
not right, I used some floor sweep last winter-traction on ice for trucks climbing the slight incline to shop.
I hate FLOOR sweep, drain pans under anything that has fluid. Last time I bought floor sweep 5 years ago.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Trucks are definitely cleaner than equipment. Not often there's enough room to even get a small catch pan under a line or filter in some places on a machine. Big containment pan is your best friend during services or changing hoses.

crane operator

I occasionally will perform a repair in the gravel portion of the lot, because I make such a big mess if I'm in the shop. I could buy my floor sweep by the truckload. I've started clean up with a shovel first scooping up the oil off the floor- so I don't have to use so much oil dri.

Pulling apart a 30' long telescope cylinder is on my list of "in the gravel" projects. I have oil everywhere.