• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Quick-Connect

Clayton M

I am running a Cat Backhoe with about 4000 hours on it and all of the switch labels are worn off and i was wondering if anyone had any idea how to disconnect the bucket?

pwrstroke6john

i have no experience with that machine personally, but usually there is either a switch or a valve in the cab and once you turn the valve or hit the switch, you can then use your auxilary hydrulics control to pull the pins. Hopefully this gets you going in the right direction.

Clayton M

Thanks I will look for something on the Cat website, but maybe someone else can help me so that i don't tear something up.

cat 385

are you talking rubber tired back hoe?it is one of the rocker switches on the dash left hand side i think,if your talking excavator it 's usally a long silver switch on the right hand side below the arm rest.if you watch the hoses on the bucket you will see them jump when you engage it.(rubber tire)

Last edited:

Clayton M

I already did that and the hoses jumped and then nothing happened. I don't know what is wrong with it.

pwrstroke6john

did you mess with the auxilary hydrulics after you did that. theres a posabillty that there is a safety pin on the coupler itself.

Clayton M

Well there is a valve on the actual hydraulic box on the frame do you think that is it?

03warrior

I would go ahead and turn that valve on the hyd. box and see what happens. Some older machines you might have to do that with in conjuction to hitting a switch inside of cab. Good luck let us knows what happens.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Normally in the C's, hit the switch with the red tab on it. Pull the 2nd aux. lever on the loader control and you can hear the pins slide and the hydralics slow the motor.

The D's and E's work completely off the rocker switch. I dont run cats often but I think theres been a time or two Ive had to pull the valve lever between the loader arms to get the pins to move. Normally if its set right you dont leave the cab.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Surely there must be some form of safety feature on this hitch!
If there is no manual pin to pull out, then is there a set of balance weights in the hitch, these will prevent the hitch releasing.
Crowd the bucket closed and pull the dipper in close with the boom low so that the bucket is still off the ground.
Now activate the switch that made the hoses jump, pressurize, crowd the bucket some more for a few seconds.
Now slowly uncrowd the bucket with it only a couple of inches off the ground, as you uncrowd/dump the bucket should have released.

When you have picked up the next bucket MAKE SURE it is locked on properly befoe you use it.
I find it hard to believe you are using the machine without having been shown how to operate the hitch :Banghead

hammer66

Occupation
crushing screening,etc.....
on a 430d there is a rocker swich withe a red release in the middle yous yor thumb and hould up the red swich and you will hear the circut release,becareful becaause when you swich over the two lines are right there

XL4300X

hammer66 is right, its a rocker switch with a little red button in the middle of it. slide the red button back toward you then push down on the rocker switch. it it's a little cold out, you might have to give it a little throttle so the pin retracts from the bucket then drop the bucket level and curl out while in reverse

hammer66

Occupation
qwick coupler

as you see on a 430 type backhoe its the little red button in the middle of the rocker switch on the mid left hand side. on a 330c excavator i found two different locals on the older model; lift up the righthand arm rest and you will see three switches,one is for engine bypass,one is for quick coupler the other is for engineidle down. On newer models the switch is just infront of the righthand armrest just behind the cup-holder next to the window good luck

Clayton M

I got a chance to try it over the weekend and all you have to do is turn the valve on the hitch itself and push the rocker switch. They had it set up so that you could hook up aux. hyd. lines so you just have to turn the lever to get the fluids detoured.
Atlas Rob, The machine is a loaner, I was not there when they delivered the machine so i was the one who needed to ask.
Thanks for the help!

hammer66

Occupation
lever

yeh forgot all about the lever ouside we have forkattachment for emytying trash boxes after carpenters fill them up to the point of overflowing good luck

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Atlas Rob, The machine is a loaner, I was not there when they delivered the machine so i was the one who needed to ask.

No problem at all with having to ask thats how we learn :D

My comment was more to do due with the problems were having in the UK ( and we understand other parts of the world ) with attachments becoming detached from quick hitches and people getting killed.
One of the factors highlighted is the number of operators/drivers that do not have specific training on the safe operation and use of the quick hitch that they are using.

It gets a good mention here if your intested.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=6107