• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat SIS free version?

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Is the SIS free version any good? I know most of the guys around here probably have the full version, but supposedly parts access is available free. Maybe I don't know my way around the system, but it seems generally useless. I can't find comprehensive parts diagrams such as the guys often post around here. There are some, but it is very hit or miss. I also get a lot of error messages and "we don't have anything for your machine" type alerts.
Is the free version like most of the other free stuff out there, or am I doing something wrong?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Are you talking about the portal version set up by your local dealer? If so yeah it's hit or miss on diagrams but I find it useful to research availability and cost. Especially for a part that's not mission critical but you would like to replace it.

Do you have the full order online and pick up at the store version? My dealer is offering 35% off all GET if you order online. Depending on the edge or tooth that's close to aftermarket pricing.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One thing about SIS is not as much for older machines, at least from what I see.

A little of topic but one thing I regret is not scrounging all the old manuals I had access to over the years plus the probably 10 feet of shelf space of Service magazines I had collected over the years. Probably had 95% of the ones from late 1960's up to early 2000's! Would not be surprised if they ended up in the dumpster a few years after I retired!

Acoals

Occupation
I think it is the dealer portal version, but I am not familiar with the full version of SIS, so I don't have much to compare to.

As to equipment age, my stuff is old, but I don't know if it's that old. The oldest are the C model excavators.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I'm not familiar with nor have the full on version of SIS that gives the R&R steps like Nige and the others post from.

How much does the full version with all the bells and whistles cost? Never asked my PSR.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Need to check my dealer to see if the cost is similar. $700 bucks a year is a no brainer.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
You can get a laptop with full version sis
and dealer et loaded for under 1500 bucks. Never expires. I've had mine 5 years.

Cmark

Free SIS should get you the parts access that everyone else has. If it tells you there is no information, you may be looking at a grey market machine. What serial number are you using?

Acoals

Occupation
That's a good serial number. Are you not seeing something like this?

View attachment 281491

No, I don't see that at all. I talked to the Cat guy, and he said that the free sis is just an extension of the Cat parts website.

He quoted me $1500/year for SIS, ET would be another $2500/year. Mobiltech must know somebody :cool:

It might help if I bought some new machines, I am pretty sure I don't rate any kind of status at Fabick . . .

Oxbow

No, I don't see that at all. I talked to the Cat guy, and he said that the free sis is just an extension of the Cat parts website.

He quoted me $1500/year for SIS, ET would be another $2500/year. Mobiltech must know somebody :cool:

It might help if I bought some new machines, I am pretty sure I don't rate any kind of status at Fabick . . .
I have the free version that my dealer signed me up with. Like CM mentioned, I can order online and have shipped here or pick up at store. Navigating to find what you want takes some practice, and then once you learn that they come out with 2.0 and you have to adjust to that, but I find it very helpful.

As far as the tech side goes, anything that I don't have access to is gladly supplied by a request to the service manager. I primarily deal with one of the smaller shops though, so that may help.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I get something similar to CMark on my version of SIS

SIS screenshot.jpg

Acoals

Occupation
I get something similar to CMark on my version of SIS

View attachment 281537

Ah, I have it now. I looked carefully at your screenshot, and typed in the url that you are using: "sis2.cat.com", I was on "parts.cat.com". sis2.cat.com is quite useful, the parts.com thing is a joke. If you know a part number it will bring it up, but filtering by machine it is bringing up everything. The top line for engine cooling was showing a $60,000 radiator for a 994.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Ah, I have it now. I looked carefully at your screenshot, and typed in the url that you are using: "sis2.cat.com", I was on "parts.cat.com". sis2.cat.com is quite useful, the parts.com thing is a joke. If you know a part number it will bring it up, but filtering by machine it is bringing up everything. The top line for engine cooling was showing a $60,000 radiator for a 994.

I get to SIS through Parts.Cat.Com which I get to from the dealers page. Couple of steps but it's faster to me since my browser remembers keystrokes.

From your dealers parts page hit the SIS and log in.

HEF screenshot 2.jpg