• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat Technician Help Needed

Jfarris

I have an 03' Cat D5G XL. It does not have the System One undercarriage.

My problem is with the track tensioner seals. They only last maybe 200hrs before they go out. Usually it's one side, then not much longer, the other side will go out. I thought maybe I was possibly installing them wrong, but the last time I had a mobile mechanic do it that used to work for the local Cat Dealer. I asked him to take a really good look at everything when he tore it apart. He said everything looked ok, so he slapped new seals in and threw it back together.

I'm hoping someone on here has some experience with this, and can help me figure it out. The right side let go on me this weekend. I'm planning on tearing into it next weekend possibly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Are they out too far due to undercarriage wear.

Bob/Ont

The idler wear strips might be worn and letting the idler bounce up and down.
Later Bob