• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat track loader

IHFarmer

Hello everyone this is my first time on here. We have a Cat 953 I believe it’s an 85 model. It quit on us and I know it ran out of fuel seeing the tank was empty. We put fuel in it and used the hand primer. It will not start on ether for some reason. So we cracked the injectors and spun it over. We got fuel to the front injector so I tightened it up and we kept bleeding the rest until we noticed fuel running down the side of the head. It looked like it’s leaking between the head and valve cover but I’m not sure exactly where it’s coming from. What would cause this? I know it was air locked good but would it really dump this much fuel into one cylinder in 10 seconds of spinning it over? Still getting air from the other 3 lines.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Any chance of a S/N? That would be good to help those trying to come up with ideas.

Just a quick look on SIS(the Cat online information site) and it looks like there are about a dozen different S/N prefixes (that's the first 3 letters of numbers of the S/N) and each of those might have several changes from the first to the last.

Year of manufacture is not the best for getting information.

IHFarmer

I will have to charge the batteries up so I can see exactly where it’s leaking again. It was running down the side of the head here from the valve cover I think. I will have to get it spinning over again to be sure. 7632CD73-A38F-4FE2-9C40-2DC6BDAB7D6E.jpeg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
going by SIS and your S/N 45V41826 below should be the fuel system up to the pump of this machine except for the lines to the tank.

fuel system.jpg
I'd be tempted to disconnect the line with the red arrow pointing to it. This should be the outlet from the transfer pump. Then crank the engine over and see if you are getting fuel out of the pump. This is a piston pump that works off the cam shaft in the injector pump so it won't have a steady flow but should spirt out fuel ever revolution of the injection pump.

If no fuel there I would check part labeled 22 as that is described a a filter I'm guessing to make sure the pump does no suck in some dirt or crap.

Maybe someone else has other ideas but I like to start near the beginning a a system to know where the problem starts.

1466IH

Did you crack the lines lose at the pump or did you remove rocker cover and lose lines on the injectors themselves. I have seen the fuel line pass through fittings leak many times and where they pass through the rocker box is a channel connecting all 4 fittings with a drain hole that comes down to the rear of the cylinder head (closest to front of machine). The holes in the rocker box that the fittings go through can also get severely worn to the point that the O-Rings do not hold them in place any more and the lines crack from vibration.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums IHF!

IHFarmer

No i did not loosen any lines at the pump only the 4 lines going to injectors i loosened them where they enter the valve cover.

1466IH

No i did not loosen any lines at the pump only the 4 lines going to injectors i loosened them where they enter the valve cover.
There is a check valve in that pass through fitting so you may be better off to pull top cover and loosen fitting in there. Do not loosen line on injector itself. Takes a special socket to loosen there but see if you are getting fuel to the injector side of the fitting and they are not just leaking out the fitting and out the drain channel.

Reactions: DB2