• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT315CLC Leaking Oil Pan

DGODGR

Greetings All!
I am the original owner of an '03 CAT 315CLC (CJC00680). Unfortunately it has a leaky oil pan. It's not extremely bad but enough that it will leave drips on the tracks and the bottom of the house is black with oil. We are still running it (and will do so until winter) but it is something that really bugs me and gives me the perception that the machine is in substandard condition and not getting the maintenance required for a machine that is owned by someone who "gives a sh*t". Here's the question. Cat is telling me that we need to pull the engine to fix an oil pan leak on that unit. I'd like to know if this is true. Is there anyone out there who has had to deal with this issue before? I'd love to hear from you. Any Cat mechanics on the forum? I'd love to hear what your experience is, especially if you've had a hand in such a repair.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Zac93

The Cat procedure for this job says it can be done with the engine in. I personally have done the oil pan in a 315D, rather similar, without removing the engine.

Do they agree it's oil pan leaking or are they thinking crank seal or something?

Cmark

I haven't had experience with the specific serial number of your 315 but I'm going to say that yes, the pan can be removed with the engine in situ. The confusion in SIS arises because there are two different pans available: a pressed steel one and a cast iron one. Look and see which one you have. The steel one is easy enough. The cast one is a heavy old thing. I removed one a few years ago and it took me by surprise. Even though its a small four-cylinder engine, the weight of the thing coupled with the confined space made it a struggle needing two men and a jack to get it back on.

DGODGR

Thanks for the replies guys!
As I recall it, the problem seems to be the pan. If it turns out to be the crank seal does this require R&R of the engine?
Cmark: My 315c is equipped with a 3046T 6 cylinder (I believe it's a re-branded Mitsubishi branded).

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've seen plenty of both front mains, oil pan flanges and cross threaded drain plugs, leaking valve covers and leaking side covers on these engines. How many hours do you have on the machine?

It is my experience that those engines ran a lot higher crankcase pressure than the engines in the B series machines and oil leaks were pretty common when they got to a certain age or amount of use. The extra pressure didn't seem to cause any problems other than oil leaks when things got old. As I recall, they used sealant instead of gaskets on the pan. I don't know what it takes to replace a front main seal but it might require removing the radiator group. The most common leak as I recall was the back of the valve cover gasket next to the muffler.

DGODGR

Going by the machine Serial Number the pan weighs 25 pounds. That would seem to suggest it is pressed steel rather than cast.
Is the leak at the front end of the engine or the rear.?
I'm not sure where the leak is in relation ship to front (end with accessory drive belts) or back (end with hyd. pumps). I haven't seen it with belly pans off yet. Cat mechanic told me leaky oil pan.

I've seen plenty of both front mains, oil pan flanges and cross threaded drain plugs, leaking valve covers and leaking side covers on these engines. How many hours do you have on the machine?

It is my experience that those engines ran a lot higher crankcase pressure than the engines in the B series machines and oil leaks were pretty common when they got to a certain age or amount of use. The extra pressure didn't seem to cause any problems other than oil leaks when things got old. As I recall, they used sealant instead of gaskets on the pan. I don't know what it takes to replace a front main seal but it might require removing the radiator group. The most common leak as I recall was the back of the valve cover gasket next to the muffler.
I don't think it's from the valve cover gasket. There is some weeping there but not enough to drip down the block and onto the tracks/ground.
Current machine hours are +/-8,900.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You are in the time frame for those kinds of leaks to happen.

DGODGR

Yes, She's getting long in the tooth. Still a good 'hoe though so I want to take care of stuff like this as it comes up.
The leak is from the pan and it appears to be leaking all around it instead of in one particular spot.