• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar D4D 78A 7128

Hollyrock

Good morning,

Looking for some advice, i recently purchased a Caterpillar D4D 78A that had been sitting for about 7 years. Got it home put 2 battery's in it a shot of ether and she fired right up, was quite amazed. It now seems that i have fuel in the engine oil as the dipstick is way high, any advice on this?

Bryan

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
The oil is to be checked with the engine running at low idle, I believe....at least most of the older Cat engines are that way. If you are checking it with the engine off it'll be a ways above full mark.

Hollyrock

Hi Mcrafdty, i have at Cat 3304 the dipstick says to check the engine oil while idling. The cat d330 engine dipstick says nothing, maybe it was changed to a blank one.

Bryan

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Hi Mcrafdty, i have at Cat 3304 the dipstick says to check the engine oil while idling. The cat d330 engine dipstick says nothing, maybe it was changed to a blank one.

Bryan
Not sure, I have a D333a in my D6C and that say check with engine at low idle. many other Cats I've owned or been around all we check when idling. Some of those in the know here will be along and confirm or deny.

Old Magnet

Not many places for fuel to get into the crankcase. Possible leakage through
transfer pump seals but the tell tale drain line between seals would have to be plugged for that to happen. Other candidate would be past the injection pumps which isn't very common. A failed injector can also over fuel a cylinder with fuel winding up in the crankcase.

Hollyrock

Hello all again,
yep you were right Old Magnet, the weep hole on the fuel transfer pump was plugged. We had it apart to see that. We rebuilt the pump with a new shaft and seals/gasket. The shaft was wore down, looked like it was subject to water at times as it was corroded. Now there is no diesel fuel in the engine oil. And, yes for sure need to check the engine oil with running, even though the dipstick says nothing.

Thanks all!!

Bryan