• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar D69U

Provette

Hello - My dad passed away and had this bulldozer. I am trying to see if anyone can give me an approximate idea as to what year model it is and what it is worth. I have included pics. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• dozer1.jpg
    dozer1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • dozer2.jpg
    dozer2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 102
  • dozer3.jpg
    dozer3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
  • dozer4.jpg
    dozer4.jpg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 103

Welder Dave

Other than being covered in garbage it looks in pretty good condition. Someone like Old Magnet can probably tell you the year. If you join the ACMOC site they could tell you lots about your dozer. From what I've read the D6 9U was one of the best Cats ever made.

Joel59

Looks to be pretty clean and straight. Solid front idlers indicate a middle to end of the run build date. 9u's began in 1948 and ran until- I believe about 1959. Yours would be middle to late. Very good old tractors. Value is nearly completely dependent on condition of undercarriage. Cable blade decreases its value a bit, imo. If it is equipped with an oil type clutch, that helps. I'd say $4-7K
Give a serial number and more specifics can be given- as well as an up close of the under carriage.

Provette

Other than being covered in garbage it looks in pretty good condition. Someone like Old Magnet can probably tell you the year. If you join the ACMOC site they could tell you lots about your dozer. From what I've read the D6 9U was one of the best Cats ever made.
Thank you!

Provette

Looks to be pretty clean and straight. Solid front idlers indicate a middle to end of the run build date. 9u's began in 1948 and ran until- I believe about 1959. Yours would be middle to late. Very good old tractors. Value is nearly completely dependent on condition of undercarriage. Cable blade decreases its value a bit, imo. If it is equipped with an oil type clutch, that helps. I'd say $4-7K
Give a serial number and more specifics can be given- as well as an up close of the under carriage.
Will do! Can you tell me where I can find the SN on it?

Joel59

Back left side of the main case above the draw bar (winch might be covering it??) and it should match the serial number on the left side of the engine: 9Uxxxxx

Joel59

a185366.jpg

Welder Dave

The undercarriage looks pretty good from what I can see other than the pads are worn out. It looks like the rest of the undercarriage may have been replaced and not have too many hours on it.

Provette

The undercarriage looks pretty good from what I can see other than the pads are worn out. It looks like the rest of the undercarriage may have been replaced and not have too many hours on it.
Thank you Welder Dave. Do you have an opinion regarding what it is worth?

Welder Dave

Not really but if it runs as good as it looks I'd say on the high end of the spectrum, maybe even 10K. Everything is much more expensive today so older iron should go up in value too.

Provette

Not really but if it runs as good as it looks I'd say on the high end of the spectrum, maybe even 10K. Everything is much more expensive today so older iron should go up in value too.
Thank you - that is the exact number I have been told by someone here but just trying to confirm that is correct. Really appreciate your time and help.

Joel59

I agree, it is a clean machine for its age. There is a lot of adjustment left on track chains which (usually) indicates a lot of life left in the undercarriage. However, it is all speculation without proper measurements. Track pads have significant wear. If it’s an oil clutch machine with a good bottom, I’d say $7500. If you can get 10k- happy day for you! Good luck!

Provette

I agree, it is a clean machine for its age. There is a lot of adjustment left on track chains which (usually) indicates a lot of life left in the undercarriage. However, it is all speculation without proper measurements. Track pads have significant wear. If it’s an oil clutch machine with a good bottom, I’d say $7500. If you can get 10k- happy day for you! Good luck!
Thank you Joel59. How can I verify its an oil clutch machine? I obviously know nothing about this thing - HA! I will try and get the SN this weekend when I am at my mother's house and be back in touch with you.

Joel59

An oil clutch machine has a filler and dipstick on the right side at the back of the engine in the bellhousing area. Dry clutch will not have these. Oil Clutch became effective at serial number 9u13263

Provette

An oil clutch machine has a filler and dipstick on the right side at the back of the engine in the bellhousing area. Dry clutch will not have these. Oil Clutch became effective at serial number 9u13263
Hello - I verified that it is a oil clutch (see pic attached). Also, I have attached a pic of the SN plate that has been painted over. It looks like 9U45005 but I am not sure if the "4" is actually a "1". Any thoughts? Thank you!

Attachments

• dozer14.jpg
    dozer14.jpg
    980.3 KB · Views: 19
  • dozer8.jpg
    dozer8.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 19
  • dozer9.jpg
    dozer9.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 19

Joel59

Yes, that is an oil clutch 9U- good thing. I converted my dry clutch to an oil clutch and it makes a big difference. That is a "1" not a "4" as the final 9U serial numbers were in the 23,000's. Hopefully it is direct electric start, and not pony motor start. People who like authenticity will want the pony motor, but anyone who really uses the machine will know how much nicer direct electric is. Caterpillar made a heck of a machine with the 9U, but then started it with a darn washing machine motor. Lol.

Provette

Yes, that is an oil clutch 9U- good thing. I converted my dry clutch to an oil clutch and it makes a big difference. That is a "1" not a "4" as the final 9U serial numbers were in the 23,000's. Hopefully it is direct electric start, and not pony motor start. People who like authenticity will want the pony motor, but anyone who really uses the machine will know how much nicer direct electric is. Caterpillar made a heck of a machine with the 9U, but then started it with a darn washing machine motor. Lol.
Great! So do you know what the year model is based on a SN of 9U15005? I believe it is a direct electric start but can you tell me where the pony motor is located so I can see and take a picture? Thank you again for all your help!

Joel59

Looked again at your pics, and it looks like the pony engine has been removed. I would say it is a '53 or '54 model. Someone (Old Magnet) will know for sure. It really doesn't matter though as all Caterpillar parts are ordered by serial number and not model year. Hope this helps.