• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar d6d 4x 3306 turbo head gasket radiator project

Mountainmover

Ok. So my caterpillar d6d 4x series 3306 turbo bulldozer has a blown head gasket and fried radiator. Or so I hope that's all.......?
Pushing water out exhaust. Engine oil is clean. Runs good. Steam exhaust.
Radiator was getting bent fins, easily caked over with mud, and getting close to running hot. One stupid operator yesterday morning and I wasn't on the job that moment....but it happened.....

Machine has roughly 8000 hours.

So, I'd like to know, is there a headgasket quality difference between costex brand, McCord, cleavite, whatever napa or Heavyquip sells, and caterpillar?

What gasket set will I need for this project?

What about radiator cores? Cat versus aftermarket? Heavyquip sells a radiator core....I have an account there. Brass fins or steel? Price?

So while I have this thing part, what should I check while I'm doing this? Injector flow test? I do have one injector slightly off on cold morning startup idle until it gets warmed up or revved a bit.

Thanks!

Bob/Ont

The one injector off slightly is likely the cyl leaking coolant in and not firing until engine is hot. A copper core will get rid of more heat than steel. You likely have a low liner but may have a cracked head if overheated a lot. You need to observe the iron carefully and determine the cause first.
Later Bob

tctractors

I would think you need to also strip off all the water line from the water pump to the block inlet and clean out the oil cooler core set up, the fluff on a cylinder from cold is as already said from the duff cylinder, this usualy results in a damaged injector, I am thinking this might be a D.I. engine (no heater plugs) so a set of injectors or tips (P.C.) the head will need the usual valve guides and springs a picture of the engine would help some , on the cylinder liner thing this is not a bad job to tackle on D6D's and is easily done in frame, I.P.D. engine parts are about as good as it gets,the core replacement is Hot Dipped or what ever is for your pocket to sort after the engine is sorted, as a final note after all this fluid cooling drama its worth resealing the water pump the parts in the U.K. are around the £40 spot for this task, your pump will have the wide outlet if its D.I.
tctractors

Mountainmover

It is a direct injection I believe. No glow plugs.
I will be sending he head to my local cylinder head shop for inspection and whatever repairs....

If the head is cracked,,,,,,should I have it repaired or replaced? If relaxed...what brand of head is good and which is bad?

Should I buy a loaded head with the valves and stuff....or use my stuff and mix and match the good and bad in the head?

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
If you have the cash, go with a remanufactured head. Give them your core and get something that will last. Mixing parts sometimes results in a dropped valve or other unexpected issues.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
As Bob already pointed out the root cause of your problems with the head gasket might possibly lie with a cylinder liner that does not have the correct protrusion out of the top of the block. Make sure the liner hieghts are measured and rectified if necessary. I would assume that if nothing else while the head is off you'll be fitting new liner seals anyway.

Mountainmover

Thanks so far!
Ok, so the radiator issue causing overheating would result in liner problems? Or the combination and hours on machine is common with liner problems and in addition to that the radiator issue causes a blown head gasket and/or cracked head?

I'm worried about this liner issue.
So I'm probably gonna be buying an In frame kit? Liners, pistons, bearings, oil pump, cam, and all that too?

What brands of liner kits should I stay away from? I may be using Heavyquip out of Knoxville. What brand are they selling typically? Costs on all this?

Also, what's the best technique to measure the liners? Anyone have a systematic step by step and picture guide and took usage to measure the liners? I'd appreciate it. I am somewhat familiar with some problems in a 3406 c15 style truck engine.....but had someone come measure it for us.

Thanks so much!
Sorry to ask so many questions but maybe this thread will be a great 3306 archive guide.

tctractors

An in frame repair on this engine should realy stick to the head off sump off if liners are faulty, the camshaft is best done engine out and save messing around as the engine pops out easy, the overheating issue you have will need to be fully sorted to make any coins spent viable, this includes stripping the oil cooler section for cleaning, on the cylinder head spend out the head shop will soon let you know how things stand, they will be well up on sorting this item into a good lump fit to bolt down, the next item is now I know its D.I. does it have a spacer plate? the cam lift is 330 thou by the way also what did the head gasket look like on lifting the head? you need to post a few snaps.
tctractors

Mountainmover

Ok. I am getting the blade off now and gotta get pressure washer cranked to spray off machine so I can tear it down. I will be posting pics. Thanks so much.

Mountainmover

Here is the info on my bulldozer:

Caterpillar d6d bulldozer serial #
Vehicle: D6D
Serial #: 04x07840
arrangement #: 9p2442
engine: 3306
serial #: 8z008410
arrangement #: 7n1398
transmission#: 2ha03884
arrangement#: 7g4245

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
If you pull the engine, take the block to a good shop and have them do a line bore check for the crank and cam. You will have it stripped down and the checks are good insurance against heartbreak later.

Mountainmover

Cat just quoted me a radiator core for:
7n4384 core $2105.89

A while back, Heavyquip quoted me roughly $1000.00 for a core.

What are the differences you think?

oldirt

I had a similar issue with my D, and it is about 150 #'s newer than yours. I used a cat reman head, was around 1700 or so with good core, old radiator was junk, replaced with new but aftermarket from a radiator shop. reman water pump which also included all new pulleys (they were so worn out I don't know what was turning the fan) and complete rebuild of the fan bearings/cast bearing holders. New injectors with two new injector lines, the turbo was shot so that went too.. got it all cranked up and wow that motor will not heat up at all. ran about an hour and something in the injection pump let go so that got the complete reman job too. I will say this motor runs like you would imagine after all that now. this was just the beginning of my fun but I do love this old tractor.

I did not compare the cat vs aftermarket radiator, but this one works very well, and it was a little over a grand with new gaskets for the tanks.

Old Magnet

Before you get started you should acquire the parts and service manuals for your unit.
Here's the liner spec info...

Attachments

• Liner-Proj.-3306---D6C.jpg
    Liner-Proj.-3306---D6C.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 609

oarwhat

Make sure and check the oil cooler like TC said. Mine was 80% plugged. When I cleaned it then all the junk still in the engine plugged my radiator. Good luck and keep us informed.

Mountainmover

Hello. Thanks with replies so far. Just borrowed a service manual for a d6d from a mechanic. Pressure washer is causing problems. Gotta repair that....slight delay.

Do I need a liner puller? And to reinstall, do I need a liner press tool of some kind? Or a block of wood on the last pop? It's been a long time since I've been on the inside of a 3306.

What about crank bearings and crank of info an inframe. Do I need to fro the crank totally or just look at it as I soon it to see?
Engine runs great....just water in exhaust.

Getting quote from Heavyquip. I think they sell cleavite?