• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar INLET heater ON

Saad26

Hi everyone
Does anyone know why I get this warning knowing that when I want to start it it says the the INLET heater is on. Is there a way to turn it off please?
It is a caterpillar 330D.
Also, i saw that when i get that warning, the engine starts loosing power under heavy load.1000075413.jpg
Thank you

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
i saw that when i get that warning, the engine starts loosing power under heavy load.
That is the electronics doing their job to protect the engine from damage.

Nothing to do with the inlet heater. It is a warning telling you that the temperature of the air entering the engine is too high, and no you cannot turn it off because it indicates a problem.

The first thing I would suggest is to check the condition of the primary and secondary air filters.

If you want more details post a Serial Number.

Saad26

This is the serial number CAT0330DHMWP00639. However, when I turn the key at the beginning and even before starting, à warning pops up saying that the Inlet air heater is ON. So, what i think is that the sensor might be bad and computer things that is cold outside and keep the heater ON until it becomes hot...

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
More likely the relay for the intake manifold is stuck in the closed position and it’s constantly powering up the intake air heater until the inlet air temp sensor trips a warning. Check the easy stuff first. Or, not. We can point blame at the computer or the sensors and start at the most complicated, unlikely and expensive things, first.

Because that relay lives a hard life. Much like me, Coaldust.

Nige

However, when I turn the key at the beginning and even before starting, à warning pops up saying that the Inlet air heater is ON.
That would have been interesting information to include in your OP so as not to send us off on a wild goose chase......

Have you looked in the Monitor menus for any Diagnostic Codes, even taken a look at the temperatures registered by the various sensors.? e.g. ambient air, coolant, air intake temp, etc. If you are not familiar with the system, see the attachment.

If you need a password to get into certain sections of the monitor 9992 should work, but TBH to get temp reading it should be in the basic operatore menu.

Attachments

• Monitor System.pdf
    290.2 KB · Views: 3

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
The inlet heater is supposed to come on when you start the engine cold. Its on a timer and should shut off after a few seconds. If it comes on when the engine is warm and the ambient temperatures are warm then there might be an issue.

I would start with checking to see if the heater is powered up when you get that warning. If there's no power to the heater then your issue is something else.

Saad26

That would have been interesting information to include in your OP so as not to send us off on a wild goose chase......

Have you looked in the Monitor menus for any Diagnostic Codes, even taken a look at the temperatures registered by the various sensors.? e.g. ambient air, coolant, air intake temp, etc. If you are not familiar with the system, see the attachment.

If you need a password to get into certain sections of the monitor 9992 should work, but TBH to get temp reading it should be in the basic operatore menu.
I will look into this. What about testing the selnoid and sensor? Do you know their locations in that machine please? And how to test them? I have the tester....

Nige

Start with the simple things first. Make sure all the temperature sensors I mentioned above are giving accurate information before you go anywhere else. It could be that the intake heater is being activated by a false signal.

Once you establish that then go looking for Diagnostic Codes.

Saad26

I tried looking at the monitor, there are no diagnostic code up there. Other than the warning I get. I attached the screenshot of the coolant temperature and the warning that the intake heater is on even before starting the engineering. I also went and disconnected the wire feeding the heater from the solenoid, but it still shows that the intake hair heater is ON. I'm quite lost here. Do you have any suggestions please? Also, I this I should replace the temperature sensor. Is there a way to check it before ordering it?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20240608_133645.jpg
    20240608_133645.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240608_133654.jpg
    20240608_133654.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Saad26

The inlet heater is supposed to come on when you start the engine cold. Its on a timer and should shut off after a few seconds. If it comes on when the engine is warm and the ambient temperatures are warm then there might be an issue.

I would start with checking to see if the heater is powered up when you get that warning. If there's no power to the heater then your issue is something else.
Kindly look at my latest post and let me know if yoh have any suggestions.
Thank you

Nige

I don't have with me now. But the temperature 34 C degrees looks reasonable.
So the gauge on the monitor (which I assume is fed from the sensor) is reading 34C.? Based on that why would you even consider replacing the sensor. TBH the gauge reading really needs confirming with a heat gun before moving forward.

Have you tried unplugging the 2-pin connector #16 at the air intake heater relay.?

1717869506736.png1717869577868.png

Last edited:

Saad26

I will need to get the heat gun from home and come back tomorrow. For now, is there any other thing you think I can check?

Saad26

So the gauge on the monitor (which I assume is fed from the sensor) is reading 34C.? Based on that why would you even consider replacing the sensor. TBH the gauge reading really needs confirming with a heat gun before moving forward.

Have you tried unplugging the 2-pin connector #16 at the air intake heater relay.?

View attachment 314277View attachment 314278
The picture showing the whole diagram is not clear, I could locate the connector you are referring to. Could you please send a clearer Picture please?

Saad26

I couldn't see a 2 pin connector there. Please have a look at the pictures and let me know which one you are referring to.
BTW, what I have disconnected is the the one marked in red.

Attachments

• 20240608_142623.jpg
    20240608_142623.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240608_142619.jpg
    20240608_142619.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240608_142532.jpg
    20240608_142532.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Nige

BTW, what I have disconnected is the the one marked in red.
That's main battery power to the relay. Not a good idea to disconnect that.
The control for the relay is (I think) the arrowed 2-pin connector on the right. Alternatively you can disconnect either of the two small wires circled on the left that connect to the relay, then wrap it in some insulating tape. Those two are the wires that pull in the relay coil.

1717872089185.png

Saad26

I have disconnected it. Now the INTAKE air heater doesn't turn on. What would be the next step then? Can it be that the 2 wire in the soloneid are reversed.? Just saying...I'm no way a mechanic

Nige

What would be the next step then?
Is the message on the Monitor still there.?

Whether it is or it isn’t you now know the inlet heater isn’t operating so you can test the machine operation to see whether or not you experience a power loss. From your OP - “Also, i saw that when i get that warning, the engine starts loosing power under heavy load.”