• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar serial number/ year model

Brimmstone

Thought I would update this and let y’all know what we have found. Been kinda fun figuring this out. My buddy actually found the info out. The engine is one of the very first 315 engines. What we have found after a ton of research is the very first version of the 315 used the d4400 head and fueling system. He found a book about the 315 and it actually shows pictures of an engine matching this one. Upon further tear down of the engine a serial number was found where they mentioned one would be. Serial number is T0009. He and I are thinking this is one of the very first 315s to come out and is possibly one of their test mules. We could be wrong but after all the digging we have done and some very convincing pictures we think we have finally got this old dino figured out

Old Magnet

What's the decompression arrangement look like. The two arrangements are completely different. The D4400 actually raises the lifters for de-compression, the D315 has a cam shaft the raises the rocker arms.

Brimmstone

Would have to get over there to see for sure but I think it has a lever assy about halfway up the engine on the right side when sitting in the seat. We pulled the liners and pistons finally. All of them have cat numbers for a 315 on them

Clayton10SappD4D

Just acquired an oldie.
D4D #22C636. Fabick CAT didn't have record of the year. Anyone here have a better idea?

Attachments

• IMG_20210329_152343046.jpg
    IMG_20210329_152343046.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A serial number would be required before any information could be researched.

Your 9U series D6 is a 1951 model wide gauge. All Cat track type machines year of manufacture from 1925 to 1960 are available in a book form from the Antique Caterpillar Machine Owners Club (ACMOC) online store for about $20.00. Book is called Track-Type Machines, 1925 to 1960 Serial Number Reference Manual.
Thanks for the info,I just purchased an old cat D6 serial #9U15840S the guy I got it from didn't know the year an wasn't much good at servicing his equipment either, looks like I'm going to need a clutch water pump exhaust manifold an a roller, any idea on best place to shop for this old girl . Thanks

pjflyer

Hi all, looking at at D5B s/n 94J2338 for sale near me. I've tried the SIS on the cat site and the new 2.0 SIS without success. I've tried this number plus a leading zero (94J02238) without luck. Also noted by Nige, Ironrecord not working. Looking for year and any other useful info. Thanks

Rusted

94J series are an initial model D5 not D5B. 94J2338 should be a 1974 build, direct drive transmission, 3306pc engine @105h.p.

Last edited:

pjflyer

94J series are an initial model D5 not D5B. 94J2338 should be a 1974 build, direct drive transmission, 3306pc engine @105h.p.
Thanks, I'm not that familiar wit Cat. The dozer I am looking at has been taken apart. The seller didn't really know other than on the seat box there was a decal "D5B". The ID plate has been painted over a few times and hard to read. I could make out the 94J2238, and figured that number is the serial number. I see I made a mistake in the number, it is 2238 not 2338. I could make out the 3308, so that matches for the engine.

He had problems with the right final drive. Pinion and bull gear are worn, destroyed some of the bearings, and wobbled out the spacer tube between the final drive hub and the sprocket. He had a friend in a different state who had a final drive and sold it and shipped it to him. Turned out it was a 44 tooth sprocket instead of a 49 tooth sprocket. He didn't know this until Cat came out to install it and let him know. He said Cat came out a few times and he's done putting more money into it. He does have new bearings and a pinion gear. Hours are unknown.

I also noticed the track adjuster spring is broke on the left side and what chrome is sticking out of the adjuster cylinder is rusted off on both left and right sides. It doesn't look like the adjusters work. He said the engine was rebuilt not long ago and the hydraulics were strong and didn't leak. I did see about 3/16" of liner on the steering brake of the right side, since it has been removed. He wants 5k for it, but looking at everything else, hard to say how it moves and runs without taking his word for it. Seems like an honest guy, but it's been sitting for at least 2 years maybe more.

I think we can do the work, but it looks like a lot of time, more money on adjusters, bull gear, spacer, and not sure what else we could run into.

Paul Middlemore

I am looking at a used CAT backhoe that I would use for my home build. I am going to look at one today but alas I don't know the year of the model.
The seller posted the ID plate which shows the serial number as 5PC09199
Any help would be appreciated.
Paul