• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CB channel 9

JaredV

I was on a logging road which Ch 8 is the designated channel. At some point I noticed the CB was on Ch 9. It got me to wondering what was the intended purpose and does it still serve that purpose? Does anyone monitor it? Does anyone care? I've always understood it to be something like 911 but out in the sticks, the chances of anyone hearing me are slim and I'd have much better results using the designated channel for an area. Or is it supposed to be a meeting place during an emergency for everyone in an area? Does anyone know of it ever actually being used properly? Or was it just a 1970s good idea that never really caught on but government regulations being what they are, has never been changed? Would the FCC track someone down if they started using it for the usual chatter?

Last edited:

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I always wondered about channel 9. the range of a cb in the woods isn’t very good to begin with. When I was in maine most guys in remote areas either had a two way radio that ran off a repeater or a murs radio which has a pretty decent range and some crews would use a vhf which had a good range.

Truck Shop

Really the old rule of thumb was you had to own a used chrysler cordoba with 3 antennas
to make the welfare radio tune in and run the echo box on 300 wat.

skyking1

There was a brief moment before driver's license that my cousins and I had CB's at home. We would trash talk across the airwaves and it was pretty dead even back then. I had this Apelco Crystal radio that I think had 5 crystals in it.
This thing was hilarious! I used Ironman as a handle, and it was redundant. When I keyed the microphone it made the most distinctive "poing" on the other end. Everybody heard me coming. It was like a chime going off underwater. I did not believe them until I got a ride over there, called my brother on the phone and had him key the mike. We rofled over that shizzle.
More recently we had a trucker who would drive through the neighborhood with the dirtiest sideband monster illegal radio, and he would key up and start talking out of our alarm clock/radio. Scared the crap out of us. Second time that happened the clock radio went in the trash.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s a big ten-four good buddy. You are coming in five by five.

Seems like the 11 meter band is done. Except it’s interesting that the FCC is now allowing FM CB since 10/21.

Most of the fleets in my area are using the Alaska Trucking Association VHF blanket frequencies. Even the independents. Which, BTW, the FCC looks the other way. Most of the biz class radios are 50 watts, with a good antenna, they really reach out.

The off-road crowd is using GMRS nowadays. $35 for the licenses and 50 watts. GMRS is killing CB. But, nobody monitors it. No repeaters either except for one that’s registered in Eagle River that only works occasionally.

Coaldust is 10-10, keep the greasy side down. Over

BC Placer gold

Here in BC VHF is utilized on forest service roads (FSR) and mine haul roads. We use a truck mount 75 watt Icom as well as handhelds for excavators/ ATV etc.

With an antenna tailored for the frequencies commonly used the range is excellent. However if line of site is blocked by mountains/terrain range is limited.

Helicopter support is also VHF.

Coaldust

Occupation
Here in BC VHF is utilized on forest service roads (FSR) and mine haul roads. We use a truck mount 75 watt Icom as well as handhelds for excavators/ ATV etc.

With an antenna tailored for the frequencies commonly used the range is excellent. However if line of site is blocked by mountains/terrain range is limited.

Helicopter support is also VHF.
That’s interesting how Canada standardized & assigned the Resource Road and LADD channels to industry. I was chatting up a tanker yanker pulling out of Haines about the very subject. Makes more sense than the way our FCC does it.

BC Placer gold

A few years ago they started the RR changeover, seems to work pretty good and maps are posted by the government for each section of the province. In isolated bush locations with no chance of frequency overlap Ladd 1 is typically the default frequency (154.100)

Coaldust

Occupation
I’ve been on a radio kick, lately. No reason in particular, other than fun. Purchased some Baofeng UV-5R radios to play with and learn programming. It’s nice being able to listen to the local 2 meter repeater and local EMS, which is not encrypted in my area. Even the truck traffic headed down the Parks Hwy.

I almost have enough stuff to finish setting up a decent 2 -meter base station. Built a nice J-pole antenna out of 1/2” copper type K. Dropped some cash for a nice 12v power supply. Need a roll of good cable.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I just watched Smokey and the bandit last night, first time since I've known anything about trucks, and enjoyed all the cb talk and old school gas fumes.

What engine was in the Kenworth? 1693?
Not sure but it’s a sweet truck. A guy on YouTube under the channel twin stick garage built a replica right down to the same calculator that snowman had on the dash.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
We have been running an Icom 2 meter handheld my buddy and his neighbour modified years ago to allow helicopters to communicate with the forestry ground people. Just punch in the frequency we want and we are good to go. We mounted antennas on each of the trucks and move the radio around as needed. We keep a Channel list in the glove box as the new system is by number and not by frequency. Nothing scarier than coming around a corner and seeing the grill of a really large truck. Cam

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
We use digital UHF here for both underground and surface work. Other traffic on the road is fairly minimal, although once we start hauling ore down we'll need to make some kind of arrangement as having one of the Can-Am idiots get pancaked by a 30-ton artic would be a bad look.

cfherrman

Not sure but it’s a sweet truck. A guy on YouTube under the channel twin stick garage built a replica right down to the same calculator that snowman had on the dash.

It's a tribute truck so it's not exact but everything I've seen him do to it is exact. If irc hr just had a big cam in it but it's been awhile.

Snowman had a cat hat on

Rob Gunn

I have been wondering for some time now what is considered the normal use road communication. Way back in the day (70's and 80's) the CB was king. I can remember everyone had one at home and in the truck. Channel 9 was considered the "HELP me now" channel. I even have a CB setting on my shelf in the shop that I have considered putting in my current pickup. The last few times I used it in my old truck I did find that I could get some helpful info from the big trucks if we got stuck in a traffic jam. Do I install it or is it basicaly now obsolet? What is the most used over the road radio to use now, VHF?

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Pretty sure the general road communication is still CB. I got tired of listening to drivers babbling 20 years ago and don't have radio's in my stuff, though it would be somewhat useful in the dump truck to be able to talk to the loader in some of the pits.

Truck Shop

Most leave the welfare radio off, except when running in winter. But even that info
is dubious about road conditions. Your better off checking DOT online for those
conditions.