• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CDL Changes in the wind

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Seems there are CDL Requirement changes coming, was warned that may be a three year 'Road Test' requirement starting in 2022 for Hazmat Tanker endorsement, no idea why that would be a necessity. Will scour a number of Class A HM and Tank endorsements pretty quick, can anyone spell Fuel Shortages??

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I could not either as to finding anything. Did find the NEW CDL earners would be harder pressed to get one.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Last edited:

Labparamour

4E897C2B-08B4-47FB-A955-29DCA57544F8.jpeg

If I’m reading it correctly, sounds like it is like other employer safety training: hands-on or, bulletins, etc and documenting.
All done by employer or owner/op.
And didn’t see anything specific to tanks, just hazmat.

Old Doug

Is the new C D L a for sure deal? Is it not going into affect till feb 21? Maybe they will bring back the trail or start producing stuff locale.

RenoHuskerDu

Our local county Commissioner has heard that TX is going to require formal school for anyone who wants a CDL. Currently, anyone can go to the DMV and take the written test. If you pass, you get a learner's CDL, which lets you drive for 6 months with another man who has a CDL. Then you simply go take your driving test in a CDL truck.

Meritocracy. If you perform, you pass.

Well that is apparently not good enough for gubbmint. I don't know if this change is set in stone yet. I'm running one of my sons thru with me as his CDL instructor, just in case. Schools cost at least $3k around here.

suladas

Our local county Commissioner has heard that TX is going to require formal school for anyone who wants a CDL. Currently, anyone can go to the DMV and take the written test. If you pass, you get a learner's CDL, which lets you drive for 6 months with another man who has a CDL. Then you simply go take your driving test in a CDL truck.

Meritocracy. If you perform, you pass.

Well that is apparently not good enough for gubbmint. I don't know if this change is set in stone yet. I'm running one of my sons thru with me as his CDL instructor, just in case. Schools cost at least $3k around here.

Should be glad it's not worse, it costs $9k here for 120 hours of schooling. I don't agree with just getting a license for passing a quick written test and 2 hour road test, but also don't agree with requiring a ton of schooling no matter what. There's too much power for the tester to just pass people and then you got someone who has no business driving a truck with a license.

RenoHuskerDu

I got my first CDL in France, where it's similar to y'all in Canada. I got a price break because I was a fireman there. Sitting in a truck for hours with a few other guys taking turns at driving. Needless time wasted while we all wait for the slow guy(s) to catch on. Stuffy, arrogant state workers administering the test, all of us well-rehearsed at how to behave. State power corrupts all. And those raised under it learn to toe the line.