• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champion 715a.

gredan

I recently purchased a 715a with only 1100 hours. The machine has been sitting for a couple years. I am excited to get it running and seeing what it’ll do! It has the Detroit 4-71 with the 9150 transmission. Any parts manuals or repair manuals would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

Reactions: DB2

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Might be missin a zero on that hour meter. Not sure about the USA, but Jade Equipment in Canada has Champion parts. Some parts might be like hen's teeth as Champion has be gone for a while, and Volvo no longer produces graders

gredan

Might be missin a zero on that hour meter. Not sure about the USA, but Jade Equipment in Canada has Champion parts. Some parts might be like hen's teeth as Champion has be gone for a while, and Volvo no longer produces graders
Well the machine was bought new from a university and was used to grade about 3 miles of road in one of there research facilities in south Texas for its entire life from what I am being told by them so hopefully everything is legitimate! I have seen several threads referring jade. I will be giving them a shot for any parts when needed.

Silveroddo

I've posted this link a number of times on here but this is a place to start for free manuals. Not sure who what or why somebody took the time to do it, but take advantage of it and download them while you can, I'd imagine someday that website could go away.
I'd assume you have a series one or 2 machine. Cylinder kits can be bought online, most of the other stuff can be sourced with a little internet sleuthing. Keep the fluids up and clean and if its a runner now it shouldn't be terrible to keep it running for awhile.

gredan

I've posted this link a number of times on here but this is a place to start for free manuals. Not sure who what or why somebody took the time to do it, but take advantage of it and download them while you can, I'd imagine someday that website could go away.
I'd assume you have a series one or 2 machine. Cylinder kits can be bought online, most of the other stuff can be sourced with a little internet sleuthing. Keep the fluids up and clean and if its a runner now it shouldn't be terrible to keep it running for awhile.
I actually found that link “I believe from you in another thread”. I printed the operators manual for mine. Thank you!

Welder Dave

It would be a series I with a Detroit and a 9150 trans. That Sierra Park site is great. It does have some manuals for series 1 but mostly series II and III.

gredan

Can anyone explain the transmission shifting. It’s the 9150 shuttle shift. Has forward and reverse, 1-2-3, hi-lo. There is no clutch. Just brake and accelerator. Does this machine by chance operate like a dozer and that’s possibly a decelerator? I’m currently having a fuel problem getting the motor running.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Can anyone explain the transmission shifting. It’s the 9150 shuttle shift. Has forward and reverse, 1-2-3, hi-lo. There is no clutch. Just brake and accelerator. Does this machine by chance operate like a dozer and that’s possibly a decelerator? I’m currently having a fuel problem getting the motor running.
My 730 had an angled fuel peddle. You could run it normal, or pull the hand throttle and use it like a decelerator, hitting the bottom of the peddle. Mine had the clutch, and the pulser shift.

Welder Dave

I'm pretty sure there's an owners manual online, maybe the Sierra Park site. The 9150 trans. is different than the Gearco 8400 but I think uses the same accelerator/decelerator pedal with a manual hand throttle.

Silveroddo

Check to make sure the cable isn’t broken. I’ve got 2 of them with the old power shifts, I don’t believe either of them work as a decelerator, just throttle control.
If it was a Cummins I’d say to check the shut off solenoid, some of those old Detroit’s had an emergency fuel shut off that had to be reset when tripped also.
if it’s been sitting awhile see if you’re getting fuel from the tank to the filter. I saw a machine this fall that had been sitting awhile and the fuel had done something nasty, 100psi wouldn’t clear the line back to the tank, fuel has turned to gunk.

Welder Dave

Check to make sure the cable isn’t broken. I’ve got 2 of them with the old power shifts, I don’t believe either of them work as a decelerator, just throttle control.
If it was a Cummins I’d say to check the shut off solenoid, some of those old Detroit’s had an emergency fuel shut off that had to be reset when tripped also.
if it’s been sitting awhile see if you’re getting fuel from the tank to the filter. I saw a machine this fall that had been sitting awhile and the fuel had done something nasty, 100psi wouldn’t clear the line back to the tank, fuel has turned to gunk.
Maybe you can explain how to use the 9150 transmission? I think the OP was wanting to know how to shift and when you have to use the clutch.

Silveroddo

10-4, there’s no clutch. You have to be at a stop to shift between low and high range, others wise it’s throw and go. 1,2,3, They’re a pretty simple transmission to operate.

gredan

10-4, there’s no clutch. You have to be at a stop to shift between low and high range, others wise it’s throw and go. 1,2,3, They’re a pretty simple transmission to operate.
Thank you. That’s what I have read in manuals but seems off to me as my tractor with shuttle shift still has a clutch. I got the machine to run while using small amounts of ether. It appears to be a fuel problem. my first time ever tinkering with a Detroit 4-71. I don’t know much about them.

Silveroddo

It should be really easy to check for fuel flow ahead of the filters, install new filters and as long as fuel is getting to them I’d assume it’s a bad shut off solenoid. If you take the solenoid off they will generally start right up if they’re bad, but you need to know how to actuate it manually at that point. I can’t picture them on a 2 cycle Detroit but it’s gotta be simple.

Silveroddo

The more I think about it, I’d really do some investigating to see if there’s an emergency shut down “damper”on that motor and if it’s been activated.

gredan

It should be really easy to check for fuel flow ahead of the filters, install new filters and as long as fuel is getting to them I’d assume it’s a bad shut off solenoid. If you take the solenoid off they will generally start right up if they’re bad, but you need to know how to actuate it manually at that point. I can’t picture them on a 2 cycle Detroit but it’s gotta be simple.
@Silveroddo would you be able to explain where the solenoid would be located at? I have looked through manuals and I see nothing that talks about the solenoid or its location. I apologize for my ignorance in this subject.

JaredV

I would expect it to have a manual shut down that might be stuck in the off position. Is there a knob or T handle in the cab that you haven't identified yet?

Edit: also do you know how long it's been since it ran last? If it's been awhile you will want to verify there are no stuck injectors or it will run away if there are. Others on here know more about it.

Last edited: