• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champion 740 wheel stuck on hub

coastlogger

Trying to remove a wheel and tire. Well and truly stuck.All nuts and wedges are off,put a 3 to portapower from frame to rim,no go.Myremaining ideas are to put a piece of 2 inch pipe between chain box and rim,at a slight angle ,then rotate wheel with drivetrain power. Or put nuts and wedges back on loose and drive around till it comes loose.Looking for better ideas

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I would opt for the driving around with the loose nuts. Especially turning in a tight circle. less chance of bending a rim. I've seen tire shops doing the drive around thing mostly with stuck budd wheels

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I would suggest letting the air out of the tire. I've had on more than one occasion where the inflated tire causes the rim to bite into the hub pilot. Maybe leave 5-7 psi to avoid breaking the bead. Of course, spraying it down with B'laster or Kroil will help too. Good luck.

Welder Dave

I'd put about 8 of the wedges and nuts on loose but not too loose (you don't want to damage the threads on the studs) and drive around maybe over some slight bumps. I removed all 4 back wheels and only had a slight issue with one. I hit the rim with a hammer and it came loose. I was lucky it wasn't too stuck. Leave the wedge and nut on if hitting on the rim so the wheel can't fall on you.

coastlogger

Well I got it off finally. I deflated the tire too much and it lost its bead seal..Tire had fluid in it. No way could I get it to reseal so I dismounted it... I think either the fluid or the o ring may have been the reason It wouldn't reseal. Used bead blaster which has worked for me in the past but no way.
Anyhow once the tire was off the options were many. I set up some plates between rim and chain box and drove a wedge in between to create pressure. Heated up the now naked rim with a tiger torch and it popped off quite soon.
An interesting mystery has cropped up. The front wheel which I'm working on seems to be not rigidly connected to back wheel same side.When I rotate wheels by hand they both turn if they're off the ground...grader has an unlocking diff...but if there's resistance on front wheel like my blocking idea,the back wheel will turn independently and I cannot figure this out!

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
As far as I know, while there might be some slack in the chains, the front and rear wheel should always be locked together on the same side.

coastlogger

I think so. looking at parts book the double sprocket appears to be welded. Im hoping the weld might have let go. Anyhow i think this is an old issue i can notice the rear tire is more scuffed up and worn than front one. Think ill run it as is for awhile It grades fine.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Drain the oil, and check for metal. You can always put the same oil back in. Get her to spin once you get the wheel back on. Can't be a chain if you say they both turn if not under load, but they should always spin together

Welder Dave

If they turn together with no load but not under load something is stripped or worn out. Not sure if a sprocket could be loose but reminds me of a wooden plaque in in a motorcycle shop. It was a chromed sprocket with the teeth about 90% worn off. Below was an engraved plate that basically said this plaque is awarded to the rider with the best maintained and most meticulously detailed bike... but overlooked the obvious reason why it made a lot of noise but didn't go very far.

coastlogger

I'm now thinking the chain could have come off the sprocket and be riding on the hub beside it.Not sure if that's even possible but the symptoms fit.Will pull a cover off and see.

eastroad

We’ve got a 212 with the single sprocket on one rear wheel loose. The bolts—6 or 8- that hold the sprocket to the stub axle are broken and lying in the bottom of the chain case.
Low priority right now. the 112 pulls OK, but the brake needs help. that’s right: I said the one brake that’s operable-if it had a twin, things would be hunky-dory. Carry the blade low just in case.
Now if the operator could carry a grade with a dozer, we’d be all set..........
And LMM doesn’t work here either. There is little danger of getting grease all over where you don’t want it.