• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chippers

rockdog

I'm thinking of buying a used wood chipper to help clear some land I have. I need something that can chip stuff up to maybe 8"s. I have seen these things from $5,000 up. I don't know much about these and need to know what to look for, drum or disc etc. I will sell it after clearing the place so it won't be a long term piece of equipment, but will take a year or so because I can only work on it sporadically by myself. So renting isn't an option. Please school me on these things. Obviously the more I spend the better machine I'll get.

rino1494

We have a Morbark Tornado chipper. It will take a 15" tree. It would be nice to have a bigger one like a 18", but we got a good deal on this one at a auction. A good rule of thumb is that you should use a chipper that will take a tree 3" larger than what you will be feeding. Therefore, a 12" chipper would work good for you. How will you be feeding your chipper.....skid steer, excavator or by hand ?? If you do it by hand, I suggest getting one that has a winch on it. I prefer drums because when chipping your are working with the grain of the wood, just like whittling. Some people like disc, but IMO, they do not work as good since you are working against the grain. When dragging trees to the chipper, try and keep them out of the mud. Dirt and mud wears down the blades quickly.

rockdog

rino, Thanks for the response. I'll be feeding it by hand. I have a deere backhoe but will be moving the chipper close to each tree as I cut it up. So most will be hand fed. Thanks for the info.