• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chrome shop mafia backhoe

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
The muffler has been rotted out on my 580 Super L for quite a while. we fabbed this up today, it's straight piped now, with 2 1/2" pipe from the turbo, up thru the cowling, sticking about 2 feet up. Then we welded a piece of 5" stack to the cowling over it. Sounds pretty good actually...

Attachments

• the ridge 2 056.jpg
    the ridge 2 056.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,598
  • the ridge 2 058.jpg
    the ridge 2 058.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,116
  • the ridge 2 059.jpg
    the ridge 2 059.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,818

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Looks very nice:). My first thoughts on your new system is a water drain, and, if your turbo has the muffler removed, is max boost still going to be at the same level. It probably has a pressure control on the turbo, I'm not familiar with the L model. Good pictures with your new operator:D. Phil

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Your kid sure looks happy with it:cool:

That's actually my business partners son. All of my kids are grown. My partner is kinda like a brother to me, we went all thru school together, so we've been friends about 30 yrs... Gawd I'm getting old...

Last edited by a moderator:

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Looks very nice:). My first thoughts on your new system is a water drain, and, if your turbo has the muffler removed, is max boost still going to be at the same level. It probably has a pressure control on the turbo, I'm not familiar with the L model. Good pictures with your new operator:D. Phil

It's still got the factory 180 bend, then a 90 degree bend, then about 2' of 2 1/2" pipe sticking up inside the stack, so I think it'll still have enough back pressure. The turbo doesn't have a wastegate on it.

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
Thats preety cool how long is it going to stay like
that.

Actually, we're not that hard on equipment. It gets pushed to the max sometimes, but we try to take care of it. I bought the L new in 1995, and we never even busted a window out of it. The two windows busted out of the right side door... There's a guy that sells firewood across the street from my shop, actually he's where our shop was when we first got started (1972 till 1988) and he retired from my company in '86. Him and my dad worked together from 1962 till dad started my company in 1972, so he's always been like an uncle to me. He's 87 yrs old now (give or take a year), and he saw the L sitting at the shop one day about a year ago. He thought he'd help me out some, and knock some weeds down along the fenceline. He didn't see that someone had knocked part of the top-rail down, and got the 2 windows with it. He was kinda destructive back in the day too, dad always said that's why he made him a foreman... To keep him off the equipment...

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
The angle on that pipe still catches my eye, funny how little details can make a difference. I'll bet she's got a 'throaty' sound too. Phil

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Half our owner operators have chrome stacks here. Usually our salesman has us take the stack off at PDI and we send them for chroming. We have 5 or so customers have the windows tinted with chrome stack. 2 of our customers have flames on the lower door windows and they have chrome wheel nut covers on them. I will try to remember to take a picture of one when it's in the shop.