• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Civil Engineering?

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
don't you dare do it in four years. first of all engineering is too difficult to do well in four years. also, college is the greatest years of you life, why rush. i wish i had done my degree in six or seven years instead of five.

i dont know about that...employers look for someone who can buckle down and get it done in the estimated time...I am having no troubles getting my education in 4 years...don't be on a 7 year plan for a bachelors degree...the longer you stay in school for a 4 year degree the less likely you are to ever graduate, or pass the FE exam

ask my cousin...he ended his 8 year program 4 years ago and still has yet to get the diploma

rshackleford

3.8 gpa, passed the fe, had a job before i left college. don't look back and wish you hadn't rushed. college is more about than just the school. take classes outside of engineering. explore other interests. employers look for that too.

TD-8

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
3.8 gpa, passed the fe, had a job before i left college. don't look back and wish you hadn't rushed. college is more about than just the school. take classes outside of engineering. explore other interests. employers look for that too.
I am going to have to take some classes out side of engineering for my minor. right now i am leaning toward accounting or business management. any suggestions?

thanks
luke

rshackleford

math is a good one, you are probably already most of the way there.

i wish i had a bit more accounting and business stuff. i took a lot of ag classes. animal science, fees and feeding, farm business management. the business classes and business management classes turned out to be pretty darn important. i didn't focus on a minor just the other classes i was interested; although i was offered to join the ag business masters program.

JDOFMEMI

I would go for the business management classes. You never know when you may decide to work for yourself, and you need to know a bit of the business basics to do it successfully.

I got mine at the school of hard knocks. A little business education would have went a long ways.

TD-8

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I would go for the business management classes. You never know when you may decide to work for yourself, and you need to know a bit of the business basics to do it successfully.

I got mine at the school of hard knocks. A little business education would have went a long ways.
I have been leaning toward business management. my parents have been self employed most of my life and we recently started a dozer and excavating service. I have been giving accounting a lot of thought as finance management seems to be a major stumbling block of small business.

thanks again
luke

Raildudes dad

TD-8:

Like I said before, I have worked for the local highway agency for 37 years this June. The one thing my formal education lacked was business courses. Even working for a govt agency, it is VERY useful to know your way around a balance sheet. If you want to be an engineer and have management responsibilities you need to understand the profit / loss, depreciation etc.

I ran our agency's Maintenance Division for 10 years. My division "rented" it's trucks and equipment from the Equipment Division. (Our Division had 90 single axle dumps and 6 - 5 axle straight truck flowboys, 2 hydraulic excavators, 2 scrapers, 3 dozers, 5 motorgraders, a paver, 2 rollers and all the associated support "stuff" and 125 employees. I told folks I ran a trucking / construction "company":D). If the Equipment Division "made" money on the internal rental rate, it drove my cost up. If they lost money, it was good for me but they didn't generate enough money to maintain and replace the equipment. I wanted to see the P&L statements on a regular basis to get rid of the unprofitable equipment (insufficient hours per year) and maximize the "profit" on the profitable equipment.

We get about 75 inches of snow a year. I needed all those single axle trucks w/ belly plow to cover our 2500 miles of roads in a timely manner. In the summer I could get by with 25-30 trucks. It really drives up the cost of operation when you have a dozen trucks with 350 - 450 hours per year of use and another dozen with 5-600 hours. The flowboys were great, we could drop 2 tags and add the underbelly. With salt weighing much less than bit or gravel, they were still legal weight wise in the winter:). We did experiment with contracting some of the plowing out to contractors but it's only somewhat successful.

The old manager used to insist we do summer work like patching and guard rail repair with the single axle dumps or a supervisor's pickup. His objective was to increase usage of the low hours trucks. It was a little more inconvenient for the employees to get in an out of a big dump, but utilization went up. New manager has allowed 1 tons for patching, rail work, misc stuff and the utilization of the big dumps is down. I told the Maintenance Division head, his "little trucks' are killing him cost wise. The hourly rate of his big dumps that he has to have is going up on every big dump plus he's paying the full cost of all the smaller trucks they've added to the fleet. There's an optimum balance to be achieved but one needs to watch that P&L regularly.

Sorry about running on, the short version, as an engineer, it's really beneficial to understand the business side of any organization.

PS: I ran a local for-profit tourist railroad as a hobby (all-volunteer). As President / General Manager for a few years, I got some real world experience keeping the doors open and the lights on:cool:

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
I read all the info on the link. i will be starting college in the fall, so i should graduate before jan.1 2015 with a 4 year degree, will i have to take the additional 30 hrs or master's degree to get my professional engineer's license?

thanks
luke

You will be fine with the 4 year degree for now.

The NCEES has changed the date of those requirements to 2020.

http://www.ncees.org/news/index.php?release_id=37

buddy605

Occupation
Engineering tech/ survey
here you will have to do like an apprenticship after you graduate for 4-5 years before you get your p.eng.