• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clark gps25mb transmission

posrepair2013

Hi everyone
I have a Clark GPS 25mb forklift when u start machine you have to let it run for about 3-4 min before transmission will work.
Once the transmission works it works perfectly fine and according to last owner has been like that for the 10 years he had it .
Anyone ever see this problem?

tractormech

Sounds like it has wear in the clutch packs and front pump. Once it warms a bit and the oil thins and the heat tightens clearances up off it goes. No one can say for sure but it may run another ten years just like that. If it has a inching valve on the transmission be sure it's moving freely and not dumping converter pressure and maybe check the suction screen if it's accessible and change the filter.. other than that run it.

tractormech

The only other thing is be sure the oil is the correct viscosity-but someone may have put a heavier oil in it because it was showing signs of wear-just a theory.

tractormech

Just don't do anything drastic -if the transmission is supposed to have ATF and someone has tractor hydraulic fluid in it it's thicker and could cause it to be slow at first. If you switch it back to ATF it could fail-if it has fiber clutches the lining will come off and you're done. I've seen it happen.

posrepair2013

Thanks for the advice
I am going to start with filters they look like someone forgot about them for a very long time.

tractormech

They do get neglected. She sounds like she's showing her age but for occasional use she'll probably get you by for a long while.