• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Class 8 truck conversions

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
Hey guys, as someone in this industry, 80% of the dump trucks here are on air ride, with some have the chalmers the lovely rougher than heck ride when empty. The single frame trucks do just fine with airride because of the suspensions ability to flex, traction with lockers is not a problem. Bear in mind that the truck and trailer configuration are different all across this great continent. So to answer this thread,yes you can use a conversion truck in this segment with great success. :bash

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Why convert when these are avalable for under $30K. used county, state trucks. this one was a county rig from eastern Washington. Has a plow and sander hookup, 315 hp Cat 18 RR and 44 rears W 16 front. Needed cleaned up and paint but sold at aucton for $22K had 350,000 miles and now has over 400K miles. Ben a great truck. keep your eyes open for state and city auctions.

Attachments

• L9000 web.jpg
    L9000 web.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,266
Last edited:

John Banks

Good point about the municipal trucks Dwan. We work with a town here and they are very meticulous about their equipment and maintenance. I was talking to the head of the highway dept a few weeks back, as we both had the same problem with similar trucks. He was sending his right in for service, as did I. The two trucks were parked next to each other at the trans shop.

I guess, like anyone else, the municipalities can't afford for their equipment to be down, so the preventative maintenance schedules are amazing. Their reasoning is that while they work the trucks hard, they have to be reliable. Otherwise, the townspeople call them up screaming about getting stuff done.

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
To get a feel for what is available out there, take a look on E-bay. There a many tandem dumps on it. For under $10,000 you can get a real decent tandem, and for $20,000 you can get a very nice truck. They often sell for a fraction of what a comparable truck would cost from a dealer. I would reccomend checking them out in person before buying, but that is where I got both my dumps, and I am very satisfied.

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
I picked up a heavy equipment trader today and noticed a lot more dumps in it. There's several nearly new along with a bunch of older trucks. I wonder if it's a decrease in work or increase in fuel prices? I've been looking at some of the ex county and state trucks and there are some good buys out there like Dwan mentioned.

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
Here is a good example of the type of gravel truck we use around here, he was hauling for me this week, that's one of our 330C Cat hoes loading

Attachments

• IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 800

kamerad47

Have you seen the way some of them state & county trucks are driven!!!! you can't fire these guys the don't pay for anything have you seen them plow with them!!! Buy a real dump none of these make shiftjobs ypu will be sorry!! The thing about rears are the bigger the rears the heavier the suspension! light weight rears are trouble in soft material!!

LaLaMan

Get a Mack R or RD. Most of them are double frame, heavy rears and fronts, 300-350+ horse, and almost all of them I see have the triplex (the R model) or the 8LL, few have the 13.

In this area we have many quarries so the trucking industry is huge. On our interstates youll see more heavy spec dumps then OTR. I can never understand why I dont see more end dump trailers replaces the dump trucks though. almost any dump trailer will pack more cubic yards then a dump truck.

Whats wrong with float tires? Id think you want them for a dump.

zrtman

http://www.rockanddirt.com

Good site along with truckpaper.com

You really have to watch what road tractors you look at. Some are set up light and low. Gearing is a big deal. Ole Jim is right on the money.

Watch out for dumps you buy too. Some dealers are putting bodies on road tractors just to sell them...

kamerad47

why you don't see many dump trailers in NJ, they are hard to get in tight spaces they need hard level ground to dump (they tip easy)!!! the 2 bad things I see about floats are they are expensive & you can't recap them & used them on the back it's one & done!!!!

TRSmith

I have heard someone say that a chalmers suspension in a kenworth tri-axle dumptruck beats the driver pretty bad. Is this true?

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
We have the Chalmers in our KW dump truck and I'm not complaining. My thoughts on converting a road tractor to a dump truck go as this. It will work, Have fun doing it and running it.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
dump trucks

Hi guys,

I'm looking for pros and cons of converting a class 8 highway truck to a dump truck. There are a lot of reasonably priced trucks out there that still have a lot of life in them. I've been looking primarily at trucks without sleepers since the conversion would be that much easier without them. I'm also wondering about the air bag suspensions vs spring suspensions for dump truck type work. Many of them also already have wet kits making the conversion even easier.

Most of work is around residential sites and involves foundation excavation, septic systems, driveway improvements, etc.

If nothing else, this should provide for some lively discussion :D

Thanks

I guess its a matter of $$$$$'s, for me anyway. I have converted about 5 road tractors, to dump trucks. They are all still running at this time. The first was a 95 Mack CL, it had air ride and chassis for a 17ft bed. I was lucky it had a wet line installed. It took me and my 2 helpers about 3-4 days to install the bed and put it to work. It didnt have the Mack rears, it had Eaton 3:63?? and 9 speed. I ran the truck about 16 months and sold it to upgrade. I never had any problems, off road. It did have a single frame and I was afraid of this, but the guy I sold it too, is still running it. I paid $8000 for the truck, $2500 for the bed, Im guessing I had about $3000 in parts and labor. I sold it for $18,000

I agree with the statement about, you can buy factory dump trucks pretty cheap, compared to 5-6 years ago and before. I used to believe a dump truck has to be double frame and that is the best, BUT, there are lots of single frame (heavy duty) dump trucks out there. I had a Ford L9000 Triaxle, factory dump, single frame, but wide and thicker than normal. Another option, is use a dump body with a subframe attached. You just bolt this to your chassis. Its almost as good as double frame

The process of converting a truck, is not for anyone that doesnt have the tools, or a little experience at this stuff. The first time can be very time consuming, it the learning curve thingee.

The old RD Macks are tough trucks and hard to kill, but if you end up hauling by the ton, they are a bit heavy, thus you cant carry as much tonnage. Im talking about the bridge law.

Make sure if you decide to go the conversion route, to buy a truck that has the proper length chassis. You dont want to get into the lengthing the chassis, but its possible. You will probrably need to find a truck that has a removable sleeper. It takes a little work, to fill in the back hole, they do make a kit for this, but you can do it with a piece of aluminum and a glass man.

Good Luck, but try to find a regular dump truck

rabbit

Occupation
Plumbing and Exavation Contractor
Bought this 1990 IH several years ago. Found a equivalent dump on EBay with a blown motor. Put them together and now have an excellent 6 wheel dump truck. Engine: L 10 cummings 275 HP, 8 spd trans.
:usa

Attachments

• SANY0025.JPG
    SANY0025.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 398

rabbit

Occupation
Plumbing and Exavation Contractor
Here is my 1986 IH 10 wheeler. Bought on Iron Planet for $10,000.
Largest expense to date not counting the paint, was for drivers seat, $350.00 on sale at IH. :usa

Attachments

• SANY0024.JPG
    SANY0024.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 401