• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cmark's random photo thread

Vetech63

Hello Vetech, if you get the chance, what make & model is it, and how do you rate it? I need to get one for exactly this scenario (reduced tail machine radiator cleaning access). Cheers.
I'll get a pic of mine today and post it. It's been a while since I've used it, but I believe it's a 4:1 ratio. Back when I was with a Fiat-Allis dealer in the late 80's, Fiat's multiplier was a 28:1:eek:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Back when I was with a Fiat-Allis dealer in the late 80's, Fiat's multiplier was a 28:1:eek:
Before we went Hytorc on them we had a 35:1 multipler specifically for tightening the bolts between the frame and the front axle on 994 loaders. Damn dangerous thing it was too. The spec on those 36mm bolts was 1100 ft lbs plus an additional 180 ± 10 degrees. We reckoned it came in somewhere close to 3500 ft lbs.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
The battery operated torquing tool is nice but if you're doing something large that is torque and turn it wipes out the battery quick. I'm still partial to pneumatic tools for that reason.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Wish I had known of HyTorq units LONG Ago, the Nuke had and used them everywhere. The other torque method was heat in a hollow stud or bolt, then rotate to a lower torque figure and allow to cool back, UNGODLY Tight once cooled or as the machine and fastener temps matched.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Wish I had known of HyTorq units LONG Ago, the Nuke had and used them everywhere. The other torque method was heat in a hollow stud or bolt, then rotate to a lower torque figure and allow to cool back, UNGODLY Tight once cooled or as the machine and fastener temps matched.
In the power station we used a hydraulic stretcher on engine/generator mounting bolts. Basically put the pressure on, turn the nut back down to the flange, then release the pressure.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
A lot of tension rods on big hydraulic breakers are torqued like that. Torque to x amount of ft-lbs, then heat the rod and turn it a specific number of degrees.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Any of you folks ever work with supernuts?

P&H 4100 shovel has twelve large and 4 smaller ones holding each track frame on. I had one of the smaller ones, probably about 2" shank size, break while I was torquing it. It came rocketing out of the hole at about mach 2. Glad I could feel something was off and got clear of it a few seconds before it let go. The big ones on the side have got to be around 4 or 5 inch in diameter. Bet they'd embed themselves in the pit face if they came apart :eek:

Attachments

• 43543ImageFile.png
    43543ImageFile.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 54

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

Never worked with one but do recall seeing pictures of them years ago. Interesting design.

I guess if you are paying attention while tightening all those pusher bolts and notice them not getting tighter you should figure out there is something not right!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Watched machinists torquing fasteners on the intake pumps section segments hit a rough spot, bolts began failing almost as fast as started setting final value, 1 1/8" supposed to be Grade above Gr8 and stretching/snapping like playdoh. Turned out were inferior and MAYBE grade 3 but Stainless, NO Head marks, ordered wrong by stores personnel. Three weeks on getting correct ones and then had to inspect EVERY use of those.

aongheas.macask

Occupation
ex service manager

P&H 4100 shovel has twelve large and 4 smaller ones holding each track frame on. I had one of the smaller ones, probably about 2" shank size, break while I was torquing it. It came rocketing out of the hole at about mach 2. Glad I could feel something was off and got clear of it a few seconds before it let go. The big ones on the side have got to be around 4 or 5 inch in diameter. Bet they'd embed themselves in the pit face if they came apart :eek:
have used them offshore on drawworks drive motors and mudpump crankshaft main bearing caps