• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Come along on two pipe wrenches

BC Placer gold

Worked as a helper one winter on diamond drill rigs, Pipe wrenches (Ridgid) backed up against mast while taking full torque of the head to break rod connections. 10’ drill rod on pipe wrench to remove drill bit etc. Tough drilling conditions could really build torque on the drill string. Ridgid could definitely take some abuse….

56wrench

I’ve got a cheap 24” with a bowed handle- i don’t remember how i did that but i have a couple no-name aluminum 18”ers that will never break, given to me one xmas by my FIL. They won’t grip anything, something to do with the angle of the teeth. They need to be melted down and made into something useful. My old Ridgids are scarred up but still good

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
When is was young and doing front end alignments I purchased a cheap China made pipe wrench. It was good for nothing! Not sure it is the angle of the teeth or the fact that the teeth all rounded and were not pointy any more.

Anyhow, from then I vowed Rigid only....Fast forward 45 years, Aluminum Rigid only...LOL

361brock

Occupation
retired
I use a Rigid 5 ft pipe wrench to turn stubborn cylinder nuts. What is the amazing part is that after locating on jack stand I push the wrench with my backhoe until slight bow. Then I hold it that way and put heat and whack with sledge. Never fails.

Nick

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I think the aluminum pipe wrenches were the worst for breaking. We used 36" pipe wrenches for breaking drilling rod loose on geotech drill rigs. I hated those "lightweight" aluminum pipe wrenches. They were not worth a darn when you put a 5' or 6' cheater pipe on the handle.

cfherrman

I think the aluminum pipe wrenches were the worst for breaking. We used 36" pipe wrenches for breaking drilling rod loose on geotech drill rigs. I hated those "lightweight" aluminum pipe wrenches. They were not worth a darn when you put a 5' or 6' cheater pipe on the handle.

You need a tight fitting chest pipe, one that's too big will break the aluminum right away, I just avoid cheaters on aluminum.

Welder Dave

I don't see a lot of hazard in that arrangement. There is not a lot of spring in the wrenches, chain, or union, if anything breaks it is just going to go slack and fall to the ground. Keep toes out from under.

I work with pipe wrenches like that and it is always done with cheater pipes, you notice the longer wrenches do not have the swell/knob at the end of the handle like the shorter ones do, it is that way for a reason. 2 guys with cheater pipes, a lot more can go wrong involving them smacking each other in the face, than that come along keeping human flesh out of range.
I bought a used 48" Ridged and the end has a knob that my aluminum snipe wouldn't fit over. Thankfully I didn't need a snipe to get the gland nuts off on my 4 in 1 bucket cylinders. It's a heavy wrench. I'd hate to have to lug a 60" Ridged around. I think they're 60lbs.

cfherrman

I use 2" pump barrels for cheaters, they fit the wrenches great but on the 36" you have to bring the knob end down a little bit, like 1/8" on both sides. I've bent them plenty when you are pulling up and back at the same time because it's in the ground. I've also extended the cheaters to like 12'