• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

compact subgrade w just weight of wheeled bobcat 743?

Welder Dave

It needs to be a larger area and what's there doesn't look at all compacted. It needs to be done in layers and also needs some moisture to get fully packed.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
soon I will have to rent a mini excavator to dig my 3-ft trench footing around the perimeter and thought maybe I can whack the slope surface down with the bucket? I'm very fearful of driving parallel to that slope to pack that last bit of edge.

If you are digging a 3' deep trench footing for the perimeter just dig back down to original grade and pour back if you are concerned.

marko13

I've spent a lot more than $300 on the compactors :-( I've been using a jumping jack and a plate compactor plus driving on it with the bobcat.

marko13

It needs to be a larger area and what's there doesn't look at all compacted. It needs to be done in layers and also needs some moisture to get fully packed.
That's the surface couple inches on the slope that I don't know how to pack down cuz I don't think I can drive down that steep of a slope. everything has been in four to six inch lifts, wet, and each layer compacted before adding the next and stepping up the slope till I got to grade.

if / when I get the excavator I think I can reach over and smack it down with the bucket just to clean up that surface.

marko13

oh sorry man I see what you're talking about, I have just spread the last layer on top and have not rolled that yet. I was just talking about the loose slope area and wondering how I could get some compaction on that to reduce erosion runoff

marko13

yeah I have plenty of space around the footprint all except for this one low corner. And I'm up against a little drainage area that's not a creek or a stream but does run a couple inches of water once or twice a year after heavy rains
You always want to over build pads past the footprint of the structure. A typical over build is about 5'.