• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compaction on a tight and tall fill.

jaclo

Looking for somebody that might have a wild idea.

We are building a deep pit Cattlebarn. Their over digs on the pit are 5 feet wide, which put the backfill, which is approximately 7 feet from the bottom of the pit to Top of dirt underneath the bunk row and apron where the feed tractor will be driving.

My issue is how you can pack a 5 foot wide area 7 feet deep that is directly next to a freshly poured pit wall, as there is not enough width for Machinery to run on it obviously.

My gut reaction is one of those roller Packers that you put on an excavator which we conveniently do not own, and like hell they’re going to let us over dig it in a way that allows us to fit machinery in there to get real compaction.

Edit: Soil type likely a fine Sandy clay mixture, there were no soil samples taken.

Last edited:

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Sounds like you need to rent a narrow roller. Are they testing with a nuke guage? If they are, I highly doubt an excavator is going to get your desired compaction.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
36" or 48" pad foot ride on roller or a couple of remote controlled trench rollers. Cut a ramp in for the ride on or hoist in the trench rollers. Spread fill with the hoe, compact, repeat - simple.

As far as the freshly poured wall I would wait until the 7 day breaks come back if the concrete was tested or wait at least 10-14 days before backfilling the wall without break results.

jaclo

36" or 48" pad foot ride on roller or a couple of remote controlled trench rollers. Cut a ramp in for the ride on or hoist in the trench rollers. Spread fill with the hoe, compact, repeat - simple.

As far as the freshly poured wall I would wait until the 7 day breaks come back if the concrete was tested or wait at least 10-14 days before backfilling the wall without break results.

"freshly poured" - not really what I meant, 7 day wait will be there fore sure.

We're kind of a small family outfit and don't have all the machinery bigger outfits do when it comes to this little off breed ****. The best thing we could come up with that won't lose us the bid is renting some kind of apparatus on an excavator.

AzIron

It takes concrete 21 days to fully cure I am with cm I wouldn't touch it till 14 days at the least it really sucks when a wall cracks and pushes out when your backfilling

Remote trench rollers work awesome but if you are using an excavator then I would go for a vibrating compaction plate especially next to fresh concrete your less likely to put the weight of the hoe behind it like you can with a wheel

My .02