• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Compare Deere 750c to 850C

Supercomp517

I've found a couple of dozers that I like for medium farm work, building ponds in clay and clearing 50-60 acres of medium sized trees, brush etc. I'll probably keep it 4-5 yrs and sell it.

If you have run both of these, is there a significant size or power difference in the 42HP and 9K lbs between the 2?

2002 750c 148 Hp 33K Lbs cab, sweeps, SU blade, single shank ripper
2002 850c II 192 hp 42K lbs cab, sweeps, SU blade, single shank ripper ( new pumps and drive motors, both sides zero hrs, 1 owner )

The 850 is $21,000 more

I don't mind spending the extra $ on the bigger one but only if there is a noticeable difference in power ( or other differences you can fill me in on).

Thanks for your thoughts

Welder Dave

There will be a noticeable difference in power and pushing ability. New pumps and drive motors should be under warranty and worth spending more for.

Tractorguy

There is a pretty substantial difference in pushing with 850 vs 750 weight, hp, and traction, also check out undercarriage life that has the potential to be aggravating down the road.

Supercomp517

Thanks, that was what I as needing. Doesn't seem like 42 hp would make that much difference, but if it does, it does.

Ok, now let me change direction on you. I've seen a few Cat D6R's, similarly equipped for similar price. What's the difference in pushing power of a early 2000's model Deere 850c vs Cat D6R? My research has led me to believe that the Deere is much faster and more nimble but that Cat may have higher resale in central U.S.

I need to make some appointments to test some out this week and next. Thanks

ETMF 58 White

Any reason you need or want the ripper on either tractor? I'm not sure what application you will have for it in the jobs you described, so it might be added purchase expense and of course it will be added weight which equals undercarriage wear. That being said, I bought a D6R at auction that just happened to have a winch which I feel like I got for free according to the price I paid. So far, that winch has proven to be a very useful tool, and the tractor is well balanced when pushing dirt. What it is costing me in undercarriage life is probably hard to quantify, but the peace of mind it gives me when working 3 tractors in wet conditions is worth something. We've had to use it a few times this year. It puts my haul weight up over 80,000 lbs so the permits are more expensive, though.

My guess is that the 850 is a little more tractor than the D6R, and my D6R with differential steer will outwork my D7 with clutch/brake steering. Several of the timber companies here are using 850s as clearing tractors, so they must have pretty good ooomph to push those cutter blades.

Supercomp517

No reason for ripper. They just happened to be in my price range and have them. I thought they would be handy for tree roots before pushing them down

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Supercomp517. there are many reasons for a ripper.

I believe a tractor needs something on the back to balance the blade and, in hundreds of thousands of hours accumulated on many tractors, I recall no real world evidence of a tractor properly equipped with a winch or ripper suffering any extra undercarriage wear due to weight.

As you say, a ripper makes pushing large individual trees more doable and, despite a lot of talk to the contrary a properly used ripper in most soil will increase production on general bulk dozing . . . I say again you win dirt then drift it you don't boil the full length of the cut.

Cheers.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I have a 750c. An 850c is a lot more of a tractor that will do some major work. My 750c semi u blade holds 5.6 cubic yards verses an 850c at 7.6 cu yards struck full. The extra weight, blade capacity and added horsepower of the 850 is huge verses the 750. A ripper is a major help when doing dirt work and will increase production by 1/3 to 1/2 in a work day. What are they priced at and how many hours on each?

Last edited:

Supercomp517

Yair . . .

Supercomp517. there are many reasons for a ripper.

Thank you. I believe you misunderstood me (or I didn't say it right) He asked me what reason I wanted a ripper for. I only meant that I was not actively looking for them. They just happened to already be on the 2 machines I was looking at. Sorry Thanks.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Supercomp517. No worries mate, no confusion. Convenient to have them on there.

In my experience folks often buy a bare azzed tractor because its a little cheaper, find they really need a ripper but "Make Do" without it and cost themselves money because its a pain to find a set of hooks at the right price and it can be a right royal pain to fit them.

Cheers.

mht1156

Occupation
Farmer, Truck Driver, Earthmoving
Now this is just me but I did read you want to do a little timber work with it at some stage and that means a ripper would be very handy and as Scrub mentioned a ripper will not hurt the performance at all.
Personally I will not even look at a tractor that's not equipped with a ripper and it is a very rare sight here in Australia(esp in rural areas) to see a bare back tractor other than Ag rated ones or those dedicated to a blade plough.
"Here" a Cat will always hold value on any other machine and a 6R here would be a 100k plus purchase any day of the week including Sunday.

Mike.

Supercomp517

I know I started this about the Deere and I'm likely to go with an 850C but I'll consider a D6R before I write the check. I have noticed that a few of the Cats have the angled (offset?) seat. This seems really convenient for tracking back and forth. Are there any downsides to this seat arrangement? Maybe that if you are trying to grade that you can only see one blade corner? I have not operated one yet but I'm going to look Sat.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
A few years ago I rented a D6R for a month and was worried about the angled seat as I had only had only ran dozers with a 'normal' seating arrangement. I can tell you, for me, it was a little awkward at first but after a day or two I got used to it. Basically it's not as bad as you would think to get used to.

mht1156

Occupation
Farmer, Truck Driver, Earthmoving
A few years ago I rented a D6R for a month and was worried about the angled seat as I had only had only ran dozers with a 'normal' seating arrangement. I can tell you, for me, it was a little awkward at first but after a day or two I got used to it. Basically it's not as bad as you would think to get used to.

If your doing a lot of ripping the angled seat is nice as you can rip and steer looking over your right shoulder without having to twist too much, means a bit when you are getting on in years and not as flexible any more.

Mike.