• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Computers anyone?

chidog

How many wish they were never invented? Yes there is somethings they maybe helpful with, but I think things were way better before them. Google maps not showing street numbers etc. on sat veiw has me steaming. Yeah I suppose they want me to join their club to have that feature now. I just hope a person can still get the good old city maps.
One other thing in the old days a machinist had to know something, now anyone that can do computers thinks they are a machinist.
One of those days.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I hear ya, brother. Being Gen X, I remember the days of analog. We managed to thrive without cell phones and computers.

The only integrated circuits were in voltage regulators, televisions, radios and ignition systems.

And perhaps my 1978 Coleco hand held quarterback football video game MeMaw gifted me at Christmas.

MG84

I’m ok with computers in some situations, that said IMO technology quit benefiting mankind about 20-25yrs ago. I can’t think of any technology since then that has actually made my life better. On top of that, I think AI is a terrible thing that needs to be destroyed now.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I guess I have mixed feelings about computers. They have certainly benefited us but I also think things like fake book and people always having their face looking at a phone hasn’t been a good thing. I think AI is pretty amazing but I’m afraid it will do more harm than good.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Yet, here we are communicating across continents as easy as could be thanks to the super computer in my hand. Yes, they've made us all (as a society) lazy and disrespectful, but we also benefit tremendously from the shared knowledge of our communities. I don't think kids today could read a road map without a magic blue line dictating their path. I certainly don't believe they grasp the importance of mathematics. Language skills deteriorate daily and the lack of human interaction is atrocious.
Since you brought it up, I believe computers are both a bane and boon to our existence.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'm quite fearful of what this AI business has in store for us. From the ability to interact linguistically to the images it creates. It's able to put together coherent arguments one way or the other based on how a question is presented. All that's left is to give it authority like the "little man behind the curtain " in the wizard of Oz.

ianjoub

There is good and bad in everything. Computers are very helpful, but are used to destructive ends against us as well.

Google maps DOES give house numbers/addresses! If you are not scrolled in enough, just click on the outline of a building.

maps.png

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'm convinced that technology will eventually be the demise of mankind. They can now create video images of anyone doing anything they wish which is great for creating movies but someone who is very good at it could create an incriminating video against someone they have a beef with. Audio recordings are even more susceptible.

I replaced my 2011 F350 with a 2021 F350. There's way too much automation in it for my liking! It took me two seasons of snowplowing to figure out how to defeat the traction control which cuts the engine to idle if it detects wheelspin. Imagine trying to push a load of snow in front of the truck with this going on.

I have the XLT, one step up from base model and even so the truck takes control of most everything. In November a computer module for the entertainment went bad and I lost Bluetooth, music and navigation. The screen is dark except for one corner with the clock and outdoor temperature. Now that the time has changed I can't even set the clock correctly. The module has been on backorder since November!

I really wish I could have purchased a new version of my 2011!!

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
AI is scary stuff. It’s going to shortly make digital security pointless, including your crypto wallet. You won’t believe anything you view on a screen.

For example: Is this an actual iPhone 13 portrait of Coaldust? Or, an AI generated image? Can’t tell, can you?

IMG_9694.jpeg

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
AI is scary stuff. It’s going to shortly make digital security pointless, including your crypto wallet. You won’t believe anything you view on a screen.

For example: Is this an actual iPhone 13 portrait of Coaldust? Or, an AI generated image? Can’t tell, can you?

View attachment 308092

That isn't Coaldust. Coaldust has a rabbit.

chidog

With AI !

At least no one can use a video or recording against you in any way now. And say you said this or that or did this or that.

Always keep in mind what Coaldust said about digital and crypto etc. and is why we don't need it.

cfherrman, we already have that.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender

View attachment 308092
Definitely fake. There's a beagle instead of a bunny.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I'm a Millennial. I grew up with computers but I'm finding I'm using them a lot less. I more or less use them only to run diagnostic programs. I will say its a lot nicer reading a PDF manual than a paper copy. Activate the search function and search for the connector you need instead of flipping between 15 pages of schematics.

chidog

I'm a Millennial. I grew up with computers but I'm finding I'm using them a lot less. I more or less use them only to run diagnostic programs. I will say its a lot nicer reading a PDF manual than a paper copy. Activate the search function and search for the connector you need instead of flipping between 15 pages of schematics.
Yeah but not all pdf's have that. Like some free online stuff. And I suppose using a free pdf player won't either.

I can find things so much faster in a nice thick paper shop manual. Its scary and sad that a person would need to depend on a battery to use a shop manual, especially way out in the woods hundreds of miles from anything. And besides all the blue light from a display is bad for your eyes, just look it up.